1997 5.7 vortec, Black, Red, Grey, or aluminum rtv

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oniontheoreo

Reaction score
So I gotta ask what sealant is best for the lower intake manifold, Black (oil resistant)
Red (Hi -temp), Grey (vibration and hi torque), and aluminum ( the ketup packet that came with the intake gaskets). Which would be the best for the wall. Sometimes I see red used a far bit, but wouldn't Black be better since(I believe) it would be in contact with more oil. Or am I overthrowing it?

Komet

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oh boy here we go.

I use Permatex Ultra Black and I follow the instructions exactly including waiting for the 24hr full cure and haven't had leaks of any kind. Wouldn't recommend red whatsoever based on the extreme filth accumulation formerly present on my L98.

Use Permatex Right Stuff if you want a quicker set up.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The shortest possible answer is you want The Right Stuff Black in the "aerosol" (pressurized) can, or caulking-gun cartridge.
www.amazon.com/PERMATEX-Right-Stuff-Gasket-Maker/dp/B0839P3CP9/ref=sr_1_13?

Distant second place would be The Right Stuff Black in a squeeze-tube. Much longer set-up time.

Keep in mind that the only two places you're using RTV Silicone are across the two "China Walls" at the rear and front of the engine block.

The gaskets--except where they meet the China Walls--are either dry or have gasket sealer (NOT "gasket MAKER") applied. (NOT RTV Silicone.)