1996 K1500 Frame Clean Up/ Rust Repair

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adray96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The truck I picked up about a week ago is a little rough, especially since it's a northern truck with over 260,000 miles, So there's definitely rust. I'd like to clean it up and repair as much as I can.

I have a cousin who said he will let me use his sand blaster to clean up my frame, and I will probably use that stuff that converts rust to primer, then paint it. My questions are:

1) Are there any replacements for the bars that bolt on and connect the frames?

2) Does anyone have any other suggestions for cleaning up the frame?

3) Do you think the frame will be strong enough to bolt an aftermarket trailer hitch on?

The pictures are from underneath the bed, near the tailgate.

Thank you in advance

You must be registered for see images attach

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
My only suggestion would be to pull the bumper, gas tank, and bed off so you can clean the frame good and get to all the areas that are needed. While you have the bed off stand it up and clean and paint the bottom of it as well. Clean and paint the inside of the bumper and all the brackets it uses.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
The only thing you can do to prevent it from getting worse is to do as mentioned above and either wire wheel or sandblast the frame, basically get anything loose off, then paint with some good stuff to prevent it from coming back. Just coating it as is with anything would be completely pointless. I don't think anyone makes aftermarket braces, but you could always have someone do it from scratch, and yes, that could handle a hitch, doesn't look terrible.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
Your frame looks fine, mine looks the same.

Rust converter's and everything else, are snake oil. Use the sandblaster, wire wheel, flap wheel get it down to clean metal, then paint it with any good paint. Alot of the damage you see there is fromt he factory undercoating lifting and letting water and crap sit in there and lift more. Getting rid of ALL of it is the only permanent solution.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
All I can say is our interiors don't suffer like yours do, but I would certainly trade a cracked/faded interior over rust.

adray96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, my said he'll help me sandblast it, so I'll just have to set a date with him. What all is involved with removing the bed, bumper, and tank? I may try and make this a weekend thing and just stay at his place for the night. I'd definitely like to do this right. Also, what are some good brands of hitches and places to look for them?

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, my said he'll help me sandblast it, so I'll just have to set a date with him. What all is involved with removing the bed, bumper, and tank? I may try and make this a weekend thing and just stay at his place for the night. I'd definitely like to do this right. Also, what are some good brands of hitches and places to look for them?

I think a weekend and some help could get it done.

Undo the wiring, unhook the filler from the bed side, there's a few grounds, and 8 bolts.

Factory hitches are pretty easy to find, I got two for free with the last 2 of these trucks I bought lol.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
When I did mine I even took the wiring harness loose and removed the fuel and brake lines all the way up to the front. A lot of work but then I replaced my brake line with the nickel/copper that won't rust and put plastic fuel lines on it. I see no reason that I will ever have to take it apart again. And, well, I also boxed it up to the driveshaft crossmember.

You must be registered for see images