1996 Chevrolet Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96 Tallhoe

Reaction score
Back in 1996, I ordered a brand new 96 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4 door 4wd. Ever since the day I took delivery, I knew this would be a vehicle I would have a LONG time (due to it taking so long to pay for!! lol)
Anyway, over the years, the Tahoe has taken on many different looks- at first, it was a mild ProComp 4" suspension and 33's, then it grew another 2" with a body lift and 35's.
I also bolted on as many performance upgrades I could: Gibson headers and exhaust, oversized throttle body and spacer, power programmer, cold air intake, mass flow air sensor, etc.
You must be registered for see images attach

Then I decided it was time to get rid of some chrome and add some other goodies like the MotoMetal wheels and the fender flares:

Of course, that wasn't enough- once I got started, I couldn't stop there! I had to go bigger. So, I went in search of the highest, most solid IFS suspension I could find. Of course, that doesn't really exist. So what I did was purchased a front box drop out of CA and pretty much custom fabricated the rest of the front suspension. For the rear, I went with new, custom made leaf springs. I added dual shocks on all 4 corners, custom drive shafts front and rear and some 2" wheel spacers to gain the extra turning clearance I needed. To finish up, I added 38" Toyo Open Country M/T tires.

For now, the truck is very capable off road and so far (knock on wood) the only thing broken has been a thrashed front drive shaft.
The latest series of upgrades have been to the interior- added a Kenwood in dash 7" DVD touch screen receiver, 2 sets of Polk components in the doors, Kenwood 4x10 speakers in rear and a 10" Kicker sub under the rear seat. With a 300w amp pushing the sub and a 500w pushing the Polks, the system sounds great without too much bass rattling the door panels.
The highlights of the upgrades:
38x14x16 Toyo Open Country M/T's on 16x9 Moto Metal 951
SmittyBuilt Nerf Bars
Pro-Comp Pre-Runner Bar
4.88 Gears - Yukon Axles and Diffs
Dual ProComp shocks all around
PIAA 520 series lights

The next generation is still on the drawing board, but you can bet it may include a supercharger, solid axle swap, and some 44's!! :hmm:

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
Hey, could you post up some pics of your sub box? I was thinking about putting one under the seat, didn't want to have it be in the way, because I still use mine as a truck. Do you have issues folding the seat forward with the sub?

96 Tallhoe

Reaction score
THANKS!

Appreciate all the nice comments- especially since all you guys have such nice looking vehicles! :rocking:
I too have always loved that color on a GM truck ever since I ordered it- too bad they don't really offer that color anymore.

Question @ sub- after looking to build my own custom box, I actually ended up buying the Kicker CompVT sub box. Comes ready to plug and play (add amp). The 8" and the 10" fit perfectly under the rear seat, as long as it is on one of the sides- not enough clearance in middle. The 10" is real tight but seats fold up and back without issue. I thought I was going to need to add another for the opposite side but these things have PLENTY of umph

GMCarter

Reaction score
Hey random thought here, Vigh_J you work at finning in Red Deer? lol