1996 5.0 vortec to 1998 5.7 vortec swap questions.!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wass

Reaction score
Downstream o2s monitor the cats. Upsteam o2s are used by pcm for fuel trim. Only replace front ones. In my experience as a auto tech its rarely the o2 sensors. Often its circuit or fueling issues.. o2s can and do wear out get contaminated ect and are vital for proper fuel trim. Are you sure on those codes. Did the tuner delete EGR? The first code is egr position.

wass

Reaction score
The upstreams are known as bank 1 sensor 1 and bank 2 sensor 1.. If your parts guy needs to know.

Last edited:

gerardobernal1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
thank you, already ordered the o2 for the front, the rear was tuned out, and yes i need to replace the egr as well. i didnt mention to to delete it and dont want to re-ship the pcm for a retune for the third time. i will eventually replace it as well. it is running rich and im thinking its just like u stated, the front o2s.. hopefully these fix the issue along with the egr valve.

gerardobernal1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Still havent got a chance to get the o2's changed out due to work and the holidays, hopefully i can get to that soon. Also "AG98" told me about a crank relearn that alot of trucks have to go through after they get a tune? I'm thinking this is part of the issue as well? Any input will help!

Bombader

Reaction score
Is this post dead? I was wondering how it all worked out as I am about to do the same just one year newer I have a '97 5.0 that I'm replacing with a '99 5.7 and was hoping for some pointers.

gerardobernal1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is this post dead? I was wondering how it all worked out as I am about to do the same just one year newer I have a '97 5.0 that I'm replacing with a '99 5.7 and was hoping for some pointers.

it worked out pretty good but I had to get a tune on the pcm. I went with a tune