1996 5.0 vortec to 1998 5.7 vortec swap questions.!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
oh okay, my bad, it sounded like you had removed all the o2 sensors...the tune probably just needs to adjusted since a 5.7 uses 4 stock sensors. so the PCM is wondering where the other one is.

gerardobernal1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, another thing is that i had told him to tune out the o2 sensors since i was planning on running long tube headers in the future. he said he cancels out the rear o2's for that.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
long tube headers don't have much to do with the rear sensors unless you're re-doing the whole exhaust and just don't install them. LT's typically mean you have to relocate the front sensors. either way, thats something you'd need to discuss with your tuner about him disabling the rears.

gerardobernal1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
thats what he had mentioned in the email that the rear o2s had been deleted, not the front two. anyways, i sent the pcm out today, hopefully i get it back soon. im really anxious to see how the truck runs, and hopefully i dont have anymore issues with it. if all goes well i will be ordering some headers and maybe an intake.

DGA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Maybe this is too late and you have this resolved, but the 5.0 wiring accounts for 3 front O2 sensors and 1 rear O2 and this is where things are going awry. I'd compare the pinouts of the 5.7 ECU to the pinouts of the 5.0 and see where the differences are.

gerardobernal1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got it re-tuned, check engine light came back on.. still has wired idle. gonna try and get it read in these next couple days.

gerardobernal1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
got the codes checked out now i have the following 4 codes
p1406
p0155
p1153
p1154
this is turning into a real head-ache....

gerardobernal1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nvm i just noticed 3 of them are the same... well looks like i need o2 sensors..

gerardobernal1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
anyone wanna point me in the direction as to which ones i need? upstream? downstream? whats the difference?