1995 GMC EX CAB ISSUE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

loom383

Reaction score
My 95 Gmc Sierra Ex Cab K1500 is having an issue. This morning when I went to start my truck both my tach and speedometer did not move. Also my gear select indicator would not light up. To make matters worse the truck was shifting hard almost like it was stuck in 3rd gear. Any ideas what could be causing this? All help would be appreciated!

loom383

Reaction score
Fuses are all fine, check my obd1 codes and I got the following...
66-A/C pressure sensor circuit error(low pressure indicated)
67-A/C pressure sensor circuit error
81-Transmission 2-3 error
82-3X Crankshaft position sensor circuit error
83-TCC Solenoid circuit error
Any help would be great!

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
The one that stands out to me is the CPS.

I'd chase that system down first....

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
I didn't know that TBI motors ever had crank sensors........

Doesn't.

That's why I'd eliminate it first.

I would expect a brad ground or possibly the ignition switch off the top of my head.

code 82 on a TBI would be a spurious code that can be set with poor connections or power going in unintended places.

But you never know, my "old timers" disease has been doing funny things with my remembery today....

Last edited:

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fuses are all fine, check my obd1 codes and I got the following...
66-A/C pressure sensor circuit error(low pressure indicated)
67-A/C pressure sensor circuit error
81-Transmission 2-3 error
82-3X Crankshaft position sensor circuit error
83-TCC Solenoid circuit error
Any help would be great!

Not sure where you read these descriptions but they are not quite right.

66 3-2 shift control solenoid. Will set if ecm detects open or short circuit in the 3-2 solenoid circuit.
67 TCC solenoid. Will set if open or short is detected in TCC solenoid circuit.
81 2-3 shift solenoid. Will set if open or short is detected in 2-3 shift solenoid circuit.
82 1-2 shift solenoid. Will set if open or short is detected in 1-2 shift solenoid circuit.
83 TCC. Will set if open or short is detected in TCC solenoid circuit.

Hope this helps.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Not sure where you read these descriptions but they are not quite right.

66 3-2 shift control solenoid. Will set if ecm detects open or short circuit in the 3-2 solenoid circuit.
67 TCC solenoid. Will set if open or short is detected in TCC solenoid circuit.
81 2-3 shift solenoid. Will set if open or short is detected in 2-3 shift solenoid circuit.
82 1-2 shift solenoid. Will set if open or short is detected in 1-2 shift solenoid circuit.
83 TCC. Will set if open or short is detected in TCC solenoid circuit.

Hope this helps.

Interesting.

I can't recall if the 4l60E has an internal wiring harness like the 4L80e, but solenoids and harness failures in a 4L80e can give you a wide assortment of trans fault like that.

The 80 also has a nasty habit of leaking fluid into the through case connector and causing all kind of weird shorts. Dunno if it's the same deal with the 60.

The dash gauge problems in conjunction with the trans codes still leans me towards a ground or maybe the ignition switch assembly.

I also did a quick Google on OBD codes and came up with the list the OP put up....dunno what's up there.

Maybe I'll just go back to the "wobbly pops" for the rest of the night.....:)

Last edited:

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting.

I can't recall if the 4l60E has an internal wiring harness like the 4L80e, but solenoids and harness failures in a 4L80e can give you a wide assortment of trans fault like that.

The 80 also has a nasty habit of leaking fluid into the through case connector and causing all kind of weird shorts. Dunno if it's the same deal with the 60.

The dash gauge problems in conjunction with the trans codes still leans me towards a ground or maybe the ignition switch assembly.

I also did a quick Google on OBD codes and came up with the list the OP put up....dunno what's up there.

Maybe I'll just go back to the "wobbly pops" for the rest of the night.....:)

I just looked them up in my book so maybe a different vehicle uses those codes