1995 C2500- Open Diff to Posi Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Urambo Tauro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I do enjoy an occasional bit of drifting. Not real drifting, but just playing around in stuff like snow or loose gravel where I'm not fighting the grip of dry pavement. (It's easier on my tire budget, too!)

Clutch packs don't bother me so much, because I consider them a wear item. As long as they last a decent while, and rebuild kits are still available, Positraction would be my first choice.

However, to my surprise, Positraction isn't any cheaper than Truetrac! I was NOT expecting that. I originally thought that the best option for my budget build would be a clutch-type Posi from a junkyard, but now I realize that a junkyard's not likely to have anything but a bunch of G80s. I might have to spend the big bucks after all, in which case I might as well invest in a Truetrac.

TBH, I'll need some more input before I'm ready to consider that Powertrax keep-your-old-carrier stuff. Not having to swap a carrier is an attractive proposition, but it kinda feels too good to be true, and I wonder about long-term reliability.

Rock Hard Concrete

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
TBH, I'll need some more input before I'm ready to consider that Powertrax keep-your-old-carrier stuff. Not having to swap a carrier is an attractive proposition, but it kinda feels too good to be true, and I wonder about long-term reliability.

Although I cannot speak of the long term reliability yet because I have only had mine for maybe 4 months, if you saw the device up close you would understand how durable it is. I have only ever heard of maybe 1 or 2 no slips failing and that was when they were first introduced in the early 2000s, and powertrax was bought out by richmond gear not long after, supposedly fixing any qc issues. Honestly, due to the vague instructions and the somewhat confusing springs, Im pretty sure when people have a failure it is from the device not being installed correctly.

The only negative is that due to its design, it gives the diff a bit more driveline slack and as such may drive you crazy. It doesnt bother me in a truck with an auto but I wouldnt have it in a tight sportscar or anything with a manual trans.

However in your case since you have 4l60 and want budget traction I think it should be an option you look at. It truly works as smooth as advertized, I was expecting it to act more like a mini spool, especially over snow and ice but it isnt tail hppy u til you want it to be. And not getting stuck in winter in a 2wd truck is a wonderful feeling.