1995 5.7L Engine Build from Salvage Yard Parts List

Which Cyilinder Heads to Use

• Stock 1995 Iron Cylinder Heads Repaired

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stock 1997+ Aluminum Cylinder Heads

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

incipfer

Reaction score
I started repairing my 1995 Chevrolet K1500 Tahoe 5.7L TBI and have encountered one issue after another. The truck was stolen and the PCV system was completely removed and blocked off along with several evap. vacuum lines and all but one ground wires cut out by the time it had been driven at high temperatures with no water until it had stalled out. It started and ran extremely rough after it was recovered. During the tear-down I have so far found the original heads were drilled into badly to remove the original intake bolts. New bolts were chemically welded into the heads and haven't been extracted.

I am desperately in need of suggestions on how to get this vehicle moving again while adding some upgrades along the way. Every suggestion is greatly appreciated even the bad ones. I also planned to keep the TBI setup unless swapping out cylinder heads. My TBI has both spacers and has been cut down to increase airflow but not ported or polished.
You must be registered for see images attach

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it were me and I was looking to upgrade then I'd drop in 96+ vortec with a carb intake and a tbi to carb adapter.

Trigger_guard

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
From what I can tell. It's scrap metal. Save yourself the trouble and buy a new crate motor, or a good junkyard one

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

98 Nitro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Engine quest tbi/tpi replacement heads gets my vote. No need to change anything that way but get improved performance.

Gramps

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Engine quest tbi/tpi replacement heads gets my vote. No need to change anything that way but get improved performance.

My only suggestion is just get bare castings from them, source yourself the valves,springs, stem seals. I was less than impressed with the junk valves that came loaded. Cheap Chinese valves were Failing almost immediately.

Gramps

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
^the Head castings are done in New Zealand and the quality seems to be decent

incipfer

Reaction score
What's the difference between the 1995 Stock TBI 350 and the 1996+ Stock with the intake manifold swapped to accept the TBI? I always thought the ideal swap was to put the 1995 Stock Motor with a 1997+ Fuel Injected Vortec setup from the cylinders up.

Trigger_guard

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The L31 heads are far superior to the old swirl port design,. In fact some say the swirl port is the worst production head

Oh,. And if you're looking for L31 heads the casting numbers are xxxxx062 and xxxxx906

The 062 is theoretically better,. But most say it makes no difference

Last edited:

Trigger_guard

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As far as blocks go. The 96+ blocks came standard with a roller cam. 95- the rollers were optional and so were the provisions needed to make it roller. If you're getting a block. Look for a factory vortec. Or a tbi with rollers.

I'd give you casting numbers, but they are pretty unreliable when it comes to the cam