1995 5.7 tbi hard shift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kylebg94

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alright so earlier I replaced the tps sensor that was physically broken. The back housing had broken off. And after unplugging the battery when it reved really high. To reset everything. It ran perfectly smooth. And tonight, as I was going to fire it up. The service engine light pops back up. And it started back reving really high again. It continued consistently until say 6 minutes of idling. Then it calmed down, and r a few minutes. It started back up. Then I turned it off, Crunk back up. And it started surging up and down( the idle) again. So I went and checked the connections. I wiggled them, nothing changed. So I took everything back off and plugged it back up. Made sure it was all tight. Then it started right back. So I switched the old tps back in. While it was running to see if it changed the idling issue. And it did calm the idle down. And it ran normal for awhile. But then it started back a few minutes later. So I took it for a short drive. And it's shifting oddly again. Basically the truck is holding onto the gears way to long now. Literally it will stay in 1, 2nd gear and not shift as long as I'm accelerating. It is shifting hard when it does shift into gear and between gears. While idling in park, I gave it gas. To to see how the revs are. I noticed that when I rev it, it's a delay in the response time. It even seemed hesitant to wanna rev high sometimes.
My truck is acting quite similar to this guys example of a bad distributor.

I will be taking it in the shop on Tuesday. Because without a scan tool. I would just be throwing my best guess at something that might not even be the problem. Which leads me to wasting unnecessary money.
Makes sense, given the variability of your symptoms. Replace both with OEM equivalents once you confirm they are in fact bad and it's not a poor electrical connection or something else triggering those codes...Once you have new sensors in place, your harsh shifting symptoms should go away....The MAF influences the PCM's management of transmission internal line pressure so if it's over reporting or under reporting air flow, the AFM will also be off and consequently, the line pressure curve will also be out of phase. The TPS data stream is also used by the PCM to control the transmission, including playing a part in line rise response by the EPC to throttle input...same deal, if the TPS is reporting inaccurately to the PCM, well - garbage in, garbage out.

Let us know what happens once you have done the repairs.
So I replaced the map sensor and tps sensor. For awhile the truck ran fine. Shifted fine ect. After driving it again on the way to work. The service engine light came back. And at the lower gears of 1 to 2 and 2 to 3. It shifted hard again. The idle is running rough again as well. The problem keeps coming and going. I don't know what else to say about it. But clearly the other two issues weren't it. If I turn it off and start back up. It will stop and it won't do it for awhile.

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
have you replaced the ignition switch and harness? very common on the newer style steering columns. baf harness will cause the transmission to lose power and go into limphome mode. you also dont need a scantool to read the codes, just need a paper clip

Lyonsperf

Reaction score
This is common with the 95 4l60e.
Transgo makes a repair kit that can be installed in the valve body while the transmission is in the truck.
Any competent transmission shop can do it in a couple of hours.

Kylebg94

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
have you replaced the ignition switch and harness? very common on the newer style steering columns. baf harness will cause the transmission to lose power and go into limphome mode. you also dont need a scantool to read the codes, just need a paper clip
I was thinking that too, a couple months prior. The truck cut off going over a speed bump like you switched it off like you cut it off with the ignition. Where exactly is the harness at on the truck?

Last edited:

Kylebg94

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was thinking that too, a couple months prior. The truck cut off going over a speed bump like you switched it off like you cut it off with the ignition. Where exactly is the harness at on the truck?
I heard it's behind the back of the motor

Kylebg94

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
it's in the steering column.....
So the issue wasn't the wiring. I ran a serious of test. The gray wire with the tps sensor was reading 5.7 volts. The blue wire was reading .7. The acceptable range for them. The gray wire, being at least 5 volts. And at least .5 for the blue. I also ran a jump wire between the two connector points for the wires. If everything is working correctly. It should trip a code 21 high voltage on the pcm. And it did, so that confirmed wiring and the pcm were working as they should. So I went and exchanged the tps sensor for an ac delco one. And cleaned the connections. They didn't appear dirty at all. But I did it anyway. And the problem hasn't returned yet.

Kylebg94

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm fairly certain that I just got a bad part from oriellys. From what I hear these days. That's not uncommon. Anyway I also cleaned the terminal and it's been just over a week and a half. The truck runs fine, and the problem hasn't returned.

Last edited: