1994 NV3500 Rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WeirdTim

Reaction score
Just a few pictures of the last few weeks of me going through the 1994 NV3500 I bought for $100 to replace the original one in my 1990 C1500 with 220K miles on it. Each image has a little write up that includes information that I couldn't find online or in factory manuals. Also, I'd suggest buying parts from Cobra Transmission. They are very reasonable and they do a good job.

If you are going to attempt to do this, get the Kentmore pallet and a factory GM manual. Bought my manual from a local GM garage for fairly cheap because they had a spare. You will need a shop press and a bearing splitter to remove synchro hubs. My 20 ton press worked just fine.

Also, to install the speedometer ring on the back of the main shaft, coat the main shaft with oil. Then hang on to the ring with pair of pliers and heat it up for a minute or so evenly with a propane torch. Set the ring on the shaft square and it will fall right on.

http://s269.photobucket.com/user/Ge...500 NV3500 Transmission Rebuild?sort=3&page=1

WeirdTim

Reaction score
Had time to finish it up earlier in the week. Updated the photos on the Photobucket link as well. My goal was not to give a step by step instruction, but instead show answers for questions I had that wasn't covered by manuals or online resources.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice write up, interesting to see some of the inside parts of the trans.

Can you provide the part numbers for the manual an the pallet to hold everything?

WeirdTim

Reaction score
Nice write up, interesting to see some of the inside parts of the trans.

Can you provide the part numbers for the manual an the pallet to hold everything?

J36515 is the basic pallet part number. Depending on the year transmission, there will be different adapters that will be needed. The adapters are to adjust height of each shaft assembly so they fit together well. The Unit Repair manual for your year will provide the proper part numbers as well. They are on eBay so don't pay $500 for a pallet.

As far as the manual goes, every year has a different part number so it will be up to you to determine that. There are several online stores selling paper or PDF copies of the manuals. Just make sure you get the Unit Repair Manual, not just the basic "repair" manual. The Unit Repair will cover assemblies such as the engine, transmissions, differentials/axles, power steering pumps, etc. I actually called the local Chevrolet shop and asked if they had a spare they'd like to part with and they did for $40....not bad.

Something else I did since these NV3500 transmission came in Dodge trucks is to download the Dodge version as there were different techniques and sometimes a better explanation or image compared to the GM manual.

One thing though, ALWAYS reference the GM manual before doing anything as there are many small differences with the Dodge version of this transmission. For instance, the Dodge version's shift shaft is 180 degrees off from the Chevrolet version. So if you were to assemble a Chevrolet NV3500 using the Dodge images, the shift shaft detent wouldn't line up. If you didn't catch this, it wouldn't be known until the bell housing is on and assembly 90% completed.

Haven't installed the newly gone through NV3500 as of yet. Going to wait a few weeks before dropping my truck off at the local shop as the truck still drives. It's nice to have a back up ready to go though.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok so you just got a manual for the year vehicle your trans was from? I thought you had a specific NV3500 manual. I'm not 100% sure what year mine is but I think it's 96-97 as it has the internal slave but the shifter is in the same spot as yours. I think 98+ had it further towards the rear.

WeirdTim

Reaction score
Yes, the specific year. If the shifter location is all the way in the back of the tail shaft it is my understanding that's for an S10.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk