1994 4L60E Leaking Trans Fluid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94BeaterZ71

Reaction score
So, My truck was fine 800 miles ago when I changed the oil. Checked the undercarriage for leaks, changed the oil and filer and everything was golden. I inspected the transmission cooler lines for rust, etc, still good to go. Put roughly 500 miles on it and the cement outside had drops of fluid in a line from overnight. I checked it out, the bellhousing, starter, cooler lines, exhaust, and a few other little areas around the bell housing are wet. I heard its most likely the pump seal going out. So, today I pulled the lower half of the bell housing and the Torque Converter was dry. However, looking behind it at the pump, the pump appears to be wet, I started the truck up and the fluid wasn't spraying out, so its a slow leak right now.

My questions:
1. Is it likely the pump seal is leaking?
2. What are the best upgrades to do to the transmission while it is out? My friends uncle is an excellent transmission builder, and if his price is right, its getting overhauled, I want a list of upgrades for it.

So far, I've picked: Shift kit, Corvette Servo, Heavy Duty band, 9 disk 3-4 clutch pack, beast sunshell..what else should I get?

Here is a picture of my daily driver, winter beater, work truck, and everything in between..from the day I got her until I did the oil change right before it started leaking tranny fluid

You must be registered for see images attach

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depending on your mileage, you may also want to get a new Reverse/Input drum, as that is what the band rides on and wear over time. You want a good, flat surface for the new band to grab, so it's a good idea.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

94BeaterZ71

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up! Its officially on track to get rebuilt next week. Thankfully I know a really good trans builder, so Im saving some money! Ill look into the reverse/input drum.