1992 k2500 5spd swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1992chevy

Reaction score
alright so i need some help, last snow storm i burnt up the auto in my 1992 k2500 instead of just replacing it i got a deal on a 5spd out of a 98 k1500 with a 4.3. so far i've gotten the tranny, clutch and flywheel, but i've heard that the 4.3 flywheel maybe weighted to balance the motor and apparently the 350's are internally balanced. i think i will need to pick up for sure a slave cylinder, pedal assembly, and lower slave as the seller cut the line between the 2 slaves. if i go to order parts for the swap do i order the 98' parts or 92'? will i have to get a new flywheel clutch etc? it would be great if i could get some light shed on this i promise to post pictures on the swap and some videos, thanks.
You must be registered for see images attach

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
Your t case should bolt up, that's a good thing. There is a nv4500 swap thread buried here somewhere. All of the info should work for you also. Look for "88gmctruck"

1992chevy

Reaction score
does it matter that the trans is out of a 98? do i have to get a dust shield for the open part on the bottom of trans bell housing and where would i look for one?

1992chevy

Reaction score
Got cross member out, transfer case out, all wires off auto, torque converter bolts are out, then ran out of time going to drop the auto on friday or saturday. found out their is a 4l80e in the truck might be worth getting rebuilt, my transfer case bolted right up to the 5 spd. still have to order in a new clutch, fly wheel, and a slave cylinder, still have to track down a clutch pedal assembly as well hopefully get to drive again in a couple weeks

1992chevy

Reaction score
anyone know if i will have any problems between motor and 5spd reguarding the electrical side? i know speed sensor will plug right into the transfer case but will the old wires for controls for the auto have any functions of the motor if it is left unplugged?

chevyman98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Need a chip from a manual truck to keep from throwing lights possibly. I've seen on some where it will derate engine trying to shift going by calibrated shift points

1992chevy

Reaction score
got the new flywheel and clutch today from the store, ran out of time to put it on the truck this evening. i need to replace the hydraulic line going to the internal slave cylinder, how is it removed from the cylinder? i can push it in and turn it. is it a quick connect coupler or something? hopefully get to the junk yard to pick up a mount and pedal assembly

rook

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You've got followers of your thread man!. This is at the top of my wish list, throwing the NV4500 in my Burban. Especially interested in how you sort out the electrical issues along the way...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1992chevy

Reaction score
Alright figured i'd do a update was going to get into it today, but got caught blowing out from the storm last night

1992chevy

Reaction score
alright got some good news today, my buddy had a 88 or 89 he bought with a broken frame a while back with only 140k on it, was going to swap the nv3500 into his 92 extended cab, but now hes talking about selling the parts to put a down payment on his new truck, picked up the 350, trans, whole firewall, dash, steering colum, slave cylinders, pedal assembly for 500 bucks, hopefully get the trans and firewall to my shop for this weekend. clutch, flywheel are going in this afternoon maybe get to cut a few holes.