1988 Chevy G20 Flipped Lid?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marteen

Reaction score
I was reading a bit recently about flipping lids for the air box. Just curious as to whether or not it really is a good idea. Read about how there are positive and negatives but it was on a post that wasn’t really focused on that topic so im just looking for more insight on the deal. If you could also answer questions such as, would it really be bad that theres more open space for dust/dirt to get in on the pavement for the most part? Also how exactly does it effect your engine power/sound? And with it being flipped would it absorb more hot air from the engine itself and if so what would that do?

Pretty interested in flipping the lid myself so just want to know all the pros and cons of doing this before i give it my go. Thanks, and if anyone is running there lid flipped lemme see a shot of the setup! -Running a 1988 Chevy G20 350 5.7

You must be registered for see images attach

Nathaniel2g

Rusty Islander
Reaction score
As far as I understand from Motor Trend/Engine Masters, flipping your lid has a more negative effect than positive. You pull more warm air than you do through the factory box.

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
Flip it and see. It's an old school way to get an open element air cleaner. It will most likely result in a small power loss because it will be sucking warmer air, but you will hear it sucking that air and think it is running better.

We used to do it "back in the day" to hear those secondaries kick in on a 4 bbl carb

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There is a ton of heat in the nice enclosed space that is your engine bay. Flipping the lid would only suck in mucho caliente air.

Reaction score
It won't hurt it. And in a vans engine bay it will just suck hot air. if you want a better air cleaner do the dual snorkel style. or run a velocity stack with a snorkel through the doghouse and stick a cone filter on it.