193 TBI to TPI head swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

travis mattson

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey guys I have a 1994 Chevy see 1500 that I'm building a 350 to replace my 305. I have a set of l98 heads off of 88 Z28 Camaro that have 202 160 valves installed with threaded studs and pushrod guide plates. I have a stock 350 TBI motor with 60,000 miles I'm installing a summit 1102 cam Edelbrock Performer TBI intake flowtech shorty headers TBI mods EP 381 fuel pump I'm just wondering if anyone has put these heads on a TBI here and how did it work out for them I know Vortex are all the craze right now but I had these parts given to me relatively cheap or almost free

sgmbald1

Reaction score
Not sure about just installing the l98 heads but I have a complete l98 motor out of a 92 z28 and converted it to TBI and installed it in my 88 c1500 this past spring. I am still struggling a bit with getting everything to run perfect. I went with mid length headers and had to use a 3-wire O2 sensor. My only issue right now is that I have to let the truck warm up to where it goes into closed loop for the truck to run smooth. But when it gets there it runs great....

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Semi related but I've got an '89 Fireturd with a LO3 305 with Trickflow aluminum cylinder heads, that Performer TBI intake and a JET stage 1 chip. Like bald1 said, most days it runs slightly goofy when cold and the stock TBI unit doesn't seem to feed it enough at higher RPM's but when hot it runs perfect. Cold though, it sometimes hesitates.

98 Nitro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Gm themselves recommended tpi heads to replace the tbi ones. Gmpp part #10125377 in my old catalog was listed as a performance increase for tbi engines.

travis mattson

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks for the feedback guys as of now i may just run the low mileage TBI 350 with the stock heads. still should be alot better than a stock 305.according to my father the cast# is 14102183 witch i can't find any info on. I believe there 193s.I have 94 parts truck that had a hypertech chip in I might try too. I can allways change the heads later I guess I just don't want to change to much at once and run to a nightmare troubleshooting. do you think the Thead TPI will make a big difference?

Reaction score
so with that head you get a fair compression increase, bigger valves and better flow.But the higher flowing head is still bottled up by the TBI. So install the heads now and upgrade the intake later! Say maybe TPI or aftermarket port injection? That head should be around 64cc down from TBI's 74ish.