14B FF Inner Bearing C Clip Plier Recomendation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

UGLYTRUK

Reaction score
I just bought a 1993 regular cab 2 wheel drive 6.5 turbodiesel with a 14-bolt ful floater. Because the truck has been sitting for many years the left rear brake was seized to the shoes, so I took it apart and I decided once I had the axles
You must be registered for see images attach

removed I might as well check the bearings. The inner bearing is held in place in the drum-hub with a large strong c-clip, and the only c clip plier I had isn't really up to the task, as it interferes with the hub. So I looked on eBay and Amazon, but the reviews are mixed. Some of the double jointed ones reviewed said they're not strong enough or the tips bend.
What should I use to remove the deep-set inner c-clip?

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I have no idea, but I'd like to hear the answer... I may need to change bearings too.

Um, what's going on with your springs?

UGLYTRUK

Reaction score
I was able to remove the c-clip and the bearing was fine, but it took a long nose pair of cheap Chinesepliers and I can't believe they didn't break off, and two good USA heavy duty screwdrivers, and a Japanese lug wrench that I bent the tip over 90° with an oxy acetylene torch. That's C clip is the most serious C clip I've ever encountered in my life, much like the Cclips in an automatic transmission.. And then after, you have to tap the bearing cone into the center of the
hub with a thin long 3/16 punch. Once you've moved the cone about a half an inch, you can twist the bearing 90° to inspect it. You don't have to remove the cone all the way. My bearinglooked good, I cleaned it off with brakeclean, and dropped it back into the cone and tapped the cone back into place. What alot of work just to inspect a bearing. But that's what it takes...

And the spring eye bushings rotted, and blew off the eyes. Not an uncommon occurence I'd never seen happen before this truck. I've now noticed a few more occurences, but none as extreme considering my relatively less rusty truck. I'll get rust free used ones from a pick a part in South Carolina. I have a rotted parts truck, also a 6.5, but the springs aren't blown up