12200411 PCM swap for 1996 to 2000 GMT400 trucks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scottm

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Where do you guys recommend buying an HP Tuners setup? I want to get an MPVI3, plus.. what else do I need for software?

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess I’m confused or just dont understand some of the details of the 411 swap. :banghead:

Is it mandatory to do the crank relearn before initial startup? Is it mandatory at all? Or is it hit or miss weather I’ll need it or not? Just do the swap, fire it up and see how/if it runs then check what codes are thrown?

My distributor is already set correctly so I shouldn’t have a correlation code after the swap right?

Am I over thinking everything? I traded in my modis for a bigger toolbox (it was at least 5 years old, I wasn’t using it and the snap-on guy wanted $2500 to update it) and now I just have a generic code reader.

The pcm is already flashed according to the information I provided to lextech.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I guess I’m confused or just dont understand some of the details of the 411 swap. :banghead:

Is it mandatory to do the crank relearn before initial startup? Is it mandatory at all? Or is it hit or miss weather I’ll need it or not? Just do the swap, fire it up and see how/if it runs then check what codes are thrown?

My distributor is already set correctly so I shouldn’t have a correlation code after the swap right?

Am I over thinking everything? I traded in my modis for a bigger toolbox (it was at least 5 years old, I wasn’t using it and the snap-on guy wanted $2500 to update it) and now I just have a generic code reader.

The pcm is already flashed according to the information I provided to lextech.

It may or may not throw a code, but doing a relearn is the right thing to do.

Mitchg

Reaction score
Ya know what, this sounds like a good science experiment for me. Let me try to flash my VIN into my 1500 tonight and see if a generic scan tool doesn't just use that alone to decide what platform the vehicle is and report back. If I forget, feel free to ping me.
Hi, did you ever try this?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Hi, did you ever try this?

I did flash the correct VIN to my PCM (which I thought would break stuff in the tune, but I guess not), but my generic scanner wasn't asking for or providing vehicle info. I'll need to plug it into a Snapon scanner to see what it does.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is a shot of my fuel trims. Truck was not warmed up. I do not know a thing about this kinda stuff. Can anything be learned from this?
You must be registered for see images attach

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And here is a shot with it warmed up.
You must be registered for see images attach

Reluctanse

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Question on crank relearn, does it only need to be done once, or does the process need to be done everyone time a tune gets flashed?