#1 cylinder damage from exhaust valve question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
This is out of the factory service manual.
You must be registered for see images attach
Ohh this is awesome, but 1 full additional turn after 0 lash?

Dang, that’s a big difference to all the 1/2 and 3/4 turn info I have seen online I wonder what happened there…
I did the 3/4 turn when I first adjusted the valves…

So TDC Compression if I understand from the Screenshot there..
Is when the valves are closed, and no movement when approaching the timing mark. Okay

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Top dead center is the point of compression at which the plug would fire. If you remove the dist cap the rotor would be pointing at no. 1 plug wire.
It may sound old school , blah blah. But first learn the basics, the correct way. When you understand those concepts the mods and workarounds make more sense.
Or if all else fails, start at zero , review all , where did it go wrong.

Reaction score
Top dead center is the point of compression at which the plug would fire. If you remove the dist cap the rotor would be pointing at no. 1 plug wire.
It may sound old school , blah blah. But first learn the basics, the correct way. When you understand those concepts the mods and workarounds make more sense.
Or if all else fails, start at zero , review all , where did it go wrong.
Well I would have gone that way, but I have the distributor out, and the lower and upper air intake manifold off, so I have direct visual access to the lifters and such

Feels like I’m learning through the “tough luck” method haha

OlSmokie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The most accurate way to set the valves is to do them one at a time. Rotate the engine until the exhaust just starts opening and set the intake for that cylinder.
When the intake opens and just starts closing, do the exhaust for that cylinder. The one full turn is supposed to put the lifter plunger about half way.

Reaction score
The most accurate way to set the valves is to do them one at a time. Rotate the engine until the exhaust just starts opening and set the intake for that cylinder.
When the intake opens and just starts closing, do the exhaust for that cylinder. The one full turn is supposed to put the lifter plunger about half way.
Ahh I see, well I hope I don’t goof anything up…
I have the valve covers back on, I did the TDC #1 then TDC #6 method with the one full turn from the Screenshot someone else posted.

But now I have a ground wire question heh…

There is this ground up here on top, and I have just been putting it (I’ll attach a picture of the ground with where I have been putting it) - but I’d like to know where it really goes.. the back of the alternator??

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    361.1 KB · Views: 4

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So this here would be the proper location for it yes?
I may be blind or it's hidden underneath. Here's where I'd put it (or the opposite bolt on that housing) but, we're not guaranteed it's a ground wire. YMMV

Reaction score
I may be blind or it's hidden underneath. Here's where I'd put it (or the opposite bolt on that housing) but, we're not guaranteed it's a ground wire. YMMV

Alrighty that’s where I have put it - appreciate the help!
Almost time to see if she’s gunna run…
Just gotta put sparks, spark wires, and fan back on (and the exhaust but I have my pops welding up the holes on it right now) heh

I appreciate all the advice and feedback and info from everyone!

Reaction score
so.. I’m getting misfires in Cylinder 1 still like before…

And I also have a Crankshaft/camshaft correlation Re-learn DTC code…

Judging from the 2nd picture, I just need to adjust my timing to 0????
The Spark row, 21-26 is the range it’s bouncing around… I don’t really understand this one

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    274 KB · Views: 3