Would you buy used tires?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ridiqls

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here's a quicky way to I.D. the rear end. Look at the bolts on the pumpkin cover. 10 bolts have one bolt in the bottom, 12 bolts have 2. Dana's have an oddly shaped cover, whereas the other's are round. No need to crawl under the truck to count bolts.

So regardless of 2wd or 4wd when you are regearing you are changing out the gears in the rear? I always thought when people said regear they were talking about changing some gear or ratio in the tranny. How much do regear installations and kits run for for our cars? Is it something that is able to be DIY?

gd1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So regardless of 2wd or 4wd when you are regearing you are changing out the gears in the rear?
yes

I always thought when people said regear they were talking about changing some gear or ratio in the tranny.
no

How much do regear installations and kits run for for our TRUCKS? Is it something that is able to be DIY?
Cost depends where you get the gears from. Or you could swap the whole rear end with one from a different truck that has the gear ratio you desire. It is definitely a DIY job

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
So regardless of 2wd or 4wd when you are regearing you are changing out the gears in the rear? I always thought when people said regear they were talking about changing some gear or ratio in the tranny. How much do regear installations and kits run for for our cars? Is it something that is able to be DIY?

It might be a DIY for some, depends on your experience and what tools you have. I am not sure i would take on a regear by myself. Its needs to be done properly so you don't get gear whine or anything. Pretty sure it would cost you $400-$500 for a shop to do it, that includes the cost of the gears (2wd).

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
^ what the hell are you talking about? telling us what kind of vehicle you're talking about helps..

edit: and a transaxle still has a differential, just like anything else. it's just all in the same housing. you're not regearing the transaxle itself.. and yes, it'd have to come out

^^^what the hell are you talking about? transmission doesnt need to come out.

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
he said TRANSAXLE. Hence why I asked what he was working on. I had no idea what he was talking about. He said transaxle, so I told him about a transaxle. Kapeesh?

kinda, I thought transaxel referred to a fwd car, not a Chevy truck. doesn't it mean it doesn't have drive shafts???

gd1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes it refers to a fwd car. So when he was asking about regearing a transaxle I asked what kind of vehicle he was talking about to clarify.. How was I supposed to know? Never assume lol

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

Ironroad9C1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you can't afford tires for your pimp ass 20's maybe you should live within your means and sell the useless body lift ,sell the ugly 20 inch wheels and drop back down to stock size tires. I'd rather my run and drive that look good and not be drivable. Sorry, I'm a function over form guy. I live in richmond, so I see alot of car with big shiny wheels , and all jacked up, sitting ont eh side of the road either with a flat tire, busted wheels or hood up cause they wasted their money on ugly ass add ons rather that making sure their ran good to start with. Yep, an oil change and tune up parts are not something you can brag about, but when your stock looking runs and your buddies pimp ride doesn't , then you can brag.

Last edited:

ridiqls

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you can't afford tires for your pimp ass 20's maybe you should live within your means and sell the useless body lift ,sell the ugly 20 inch wheels and drop back down to stock size tires. I'd rather my run and drive that look good and not be drivable. Sorry, I'm a function over form guy. I live in richmond, so I see alot of car with big shiny wheels , and all jacked up, sitting ont eh side of the road either with a flat tire, busted wheels or hood up cause they wasted their money on ugly ass add ons rather that making sure their ran good to start with. Yep, an oil change and tune up parts are not something you can brag about, but when your stock looking runs and your buddies pimp ride doesn't , then you can brag.

sorry dude but you made a lot of assumptions about my situation that make you look like an idiot. I bought this truck used and it came with "them 20s". If it were up to me id stick with the 16" cause tires are cheaper in that size. I also don't see anything wrong with saving money in all aspects of life maybe you don't have that concern, to each his own. Obviously I decided not to buy the used tires so they should count for something but buying some mud tires that normally gof ro $350+ each for $200 (for all 4) isn't something that's ridiculous to ponder about.

Also DID spend a big portion of my budget on tune up and plan on doing all the fluid flushes and changes, rotor, cap, plugs wires, battery and whatever else is left. I'm also a function over look kind of guy but seems like you made a pre-judgement about me because of those rims.