Would you buy used tires?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I just gave away five of those tires, that were in better shape! I paid $150.00 for 'em just 'cause I wanted the OOBS rallye's that they were mounted on!

satxwy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you do mostly in town driving and not much long distance commuting, I'm sure you could get a year or two out of those easily. I wouldn't worry about them as long as they checked out.

If you drove on the highway a ton I'd stay away from used tires.

gd1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I buy used tires from junkyards all the time. For $25 a tire, I can't really complain... As long as a good visual inspection of them checks out, why the hell not

ridiqls

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What's everyone's thoughts on patched tires? I was going to buy 275/60r20s brand new for around $700 installed. I wish I can afford the 33x12.5x20 or 305s. Anyway just came across a local tire shop selling used (4) 275/60r20s for $200. He says around 70-80% tread so gotta go and double check that and make sure it's for real. Also said there's probably a patch or two and they're used. DOT code is sometime in 2009 so running around 4 years give or take. The $500 saved would be a huge savings but pales in comparison to any damage or accident caused by crappy tires.

EDIT: I'll probably pass on these even though they look good. I dont think i like the idea of patches.

ridiqls

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If I go with 34s or 35s, how much would a regear cost me? Since I dont have 4wd it's the "Transaxle" or whatever that needs regearing so I'm guessing the transmission's gotta come out?

gd1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
^ what the hell are you talking about? telling us what kind of vehicle you're talking about helps..

edit: and a transaxle still has a differential, just like anything else. it's just all in the same housing. you're not regearing the transaxle itself.. and yes, it'd have to come out

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
If I go with 34s or 35s, how much would a regear cost me? Since I dont have 4wd it's the "Transaxle" or whatever that needs regearing so I'm guessing the transmission's gotta come out?

No you wont need to do anything to the transmission when you regear. I am guessing his truck is a c1500 w/ 4l60e and a 10 bolt rear end (count the bolts on the diff cover).

ridiqls

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No you wont need to do anything to the transmission when you regear. I am guessing his truck is a c1500 w/ 4l60e and a 10 bolt rear end (count the bolts on the diff cover).

it's a c2500. i actually dont know anything about regearing. if the transmission has to come out to regear so I can go up 2" in tire size I won't do it. If it's something that is more easily accessible, then i will consider it.

satxwy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Regearing is just with the differential, nothing with the transmission.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Here's a quicky way to I.D. the rear end. Look at the bolts on the pumpkin cover. 10 bolts have one bolt in the bottom, 12 bolts have 2. Dana's have an oddly shaped cover, whereas the other's are round. No need to crawl under the truck to count bolts.