Whats Your Favorite Towing Add-On

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
I would assume he meant specifically within the gmt400 platform, as there are plenty of newer srw trucks with heavier rear suspensions than these duallys.
If he meant that he should have worded it that way. He insinuated that all dually have heavier suspension than all srw trucks. Which is wrong. Also there are lots of srw 400s that have the same leaf packs as the duallys. Either way no matter how many leaves you have it doesn't negate the many advantages of bags. Especially when speaking of trucks such as the gmt400 as there are many non duallys 20 years later rated to haul much more.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
If the truck sits level, like when using a WD hitch, there is no need for bags. What I intend to use the truck for will definitely necessitate the bags, weight in the bed, hitch extension, and 8000+ car hauler. There's a 12k gvw leaf pack local that's tempting me with its 3 upper overloads.
A WD hitch and bags do not do the same thing.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
It doesnt really matter how its done, as long as its level its fine. Even if it sags a couple inches, id call it good. Now if your an inch away from the bump stops, your gonna have to do somethin.

Last edited:

JavaMan

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
A good set of airbags does not eliminate the need for a WD hitch.
A heavy bumper pull trailer will lift the front end, lowering weight on front wheels, shifting weight to the rear axle. Airbags will lift the rear to match the front, however the front end is still lighter and higher than normal (not correct geometry). The lighter front end will still lead to handling problems.
The WD hitch will shift some of the bumper pull's weight forward to the front axle. This additional weight on the front helps handling and control of the trailer. Airbags can still be used along with WD to correct the rear height after the WD is used to push weight to the front.
Airbags are great for fifth wheels and goose necks, which do not shift weight to the rear axle.

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well this got off topic quickly...

Yup sure did, to steer it back, if I had the chance some type of air bags with an air supply as well as tire pressure monitors on whichever trailer I'm towin so that I can watch that, of course gauges are best friend while towing, depending on rig, engine, tranny, egt, rear end oil and a good cooling system

1BigCarrot

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Now that the handbag slinging session is over :Big Laugh: I don't have many options here for airbags at all, that means none. I've read the advert on truckspring.com but it didn't mentioned anything about lifted trucks :shrug:

Any of you chaps that are running setups similar to these airbags, using lifted trucks? Or do I need a different kit?

My boat weighs approx. 3300lbs and I'll probably have another 6-700lbs in the boot over the rear axle. Suggestions welcome :cheers:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You just make blocks to space up the bottom mount for the airbag that fits the stock version of your truck.

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Now that the handbag slinging session is over :Big Laugh: I don't have many options here for airbags at all, that means none. I've read the advert on truckspring.com but it didn't mentioned anything about lifted trucks :shrug:

Any of you chaps that are running setups similar to these airbags, using lifted trucks? Or do I need a different kit?

My boat weighs approx. 3300lbs and I'll probably have another 6-700lbs in the boot over the rear axle. Suggestions welcome :cheers:

I'd just go with some helper springs if that's all you tow/haul that's got any weight.