Great White Buffalo (first post)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thank you, I definitely will.

I wouldn’t worry about adding cubic inches, the turbo will make up for that. I would for sure run the turbo before building a forged rod and piston bottom end, get your setup worked out before spending the $$$$ in the bottom end. I would go with a Holley computer, larger injectors etc.

Can you get E-85 fuel easily? If so then that would be ideal, the timing window is much more forgiving vs premium plus you can run higher compression.

Good info here:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Reaction score
I wouldn’t worry about adding cubic inches, the turbo will make up for that. I would for sure run the turbo before building a forged rod and piston bottom end, get your setup worked out before spending the $$$$ in the bottom end. I would go with a Holley computer, larger injectors etc.

Can you get E-85 fuel easily? If so then that would be ideal, the timing window is much more forgiving vs premium plus you can run higher compression.

Good info here:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
I'm not sure how prevalent E-85 is my area. My biggest concern with E-85 and the reason I hadn't really considered it is because of access to it. Not just where I live, but where I camp and pull my trailer. Not too mention fuel economy. Hard to believe it could get worse than it currently is, but I read that E-85 could get up to 25-30% less fuel economy (correct me if I'm wrong). Seems trivial to be talking about fuel economy in a thread where I stated the intended goal for the truck is a stroked and turbo'd big block chevy, but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't at least a minor concern.

Reaction score
Compression ratio question: I haven't had a chance to tear it all down yet, but I have been trying to get a good "ball park" number of my compression ratio with the gen 6 heads. I know the gen 5 with peanut ports had about an 8:1. Has anyone on here simply bolted gen 6 heads on a stock gen 5 bottom end? I know the combustion chamber on the gen 6 heads is quite a bit smaller at about 100cc, but I'm not sure of the rest of the gen 5 specs like piston cc and deck clearance. I've sort of just guessed that I picked up about a point of compression with the smaller combustion chambers, but that is really just a guess. When it goes back together it will be the same setup, stock gen 5 bottom end with gen 6 heads. Any thoughts? Thanks

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Short of measuring the deck height and actual head CC any advice would be a guess.

Given that you are adding boost you will need pump gas premium so it’s really just going to be what it is unless you use thicker head gaskets to reduce the compression.

That being said you also want to watch the quench zone distance. Either keep it at 35-60 thou or over 100 thou. 60-90 thou is the danger zone for detonation.

Reaction score
Short of measuring the deck height and actual head CC any advice would be a guess.

Given that you are adding boost you will need pump gas premium so it’s really just going to be what it is unless you use thicker head gaskets to reduce the compression.

That being said you also want to watch the quench zone distance. Either keep it at 35-60 thou or over 100 thou. 60-90 thou is the danger zone for detonation.
Thanks. I have been kicking around the idea of going back to the gen 5 heads for the sake of a lower compression ratio. When I get around to figuring out my cr I'll make that decision. It seems like a step backwards, but it's still getting a cam and the turbo will help pull it along.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks. I have been kicking around the idea of going back to the gen 5 heads for the sake of a lower compression ratio. When I get around to figuring out my cr I'll make that decision. It seems like a step backwards, but it's still getting a cam and the turbo will help pull it along.
Don't go with the peanut port heads, use the vortecs.

As long as your tune is good a little extra CR is nothing to be scared of imo.

I believe my truck is at 9.6 CR, and I haven't had any issues with detonation on 91.

I'm sorry to hear about your cam. Did you pick another one yet? I've heard of a lot of new flat tappet cam failures lately.

Roller conversion might be a good investment when you consider the cost of wiping more cams.

Also check these guys for your next cam if you haven't bought another.

Keeper

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think Straub is the one who recommended an aggressive split on duration for bbc's doing heavy hauling... peaking at 4800 rpm with a flat torque curve from 1800 to 3200. Claims increase of 1 to 2 mpg on average also.

.400/.388, 199/212, 109 lsa

They are in TN and on my short list

Reaction score
Don't go with the peanut port heads, use the vortecs.

As long as your tune is good a little extra CR is nothing to be scared of imo.

I believe my truck is at 9.6 CR, and I haven't had any issues with detonation on 91.

I'm sorry to hear about your cam. Did you pick another one yet? I've heard of a lot of new flat tappet cam failures lately.

Roller conversion might be a good investment when you consider the cost of wiping more cams.

Also check these guys for your next cam if you haven't bought another.

I haven't picked another cam yet. I won't until I get into it and figure out my cr (hopefully this weekend). The vortec heads are more desirable, I had only toyed with the idea of going back to the peanut ports when I decided on the turbo and the desire to keep it on premium 91 and not e85. Before I torched the cam it was a whole new animal with upgrades I had done. Which I think any one of the upgrades I did would have been worth it by themselves, but I really feel like the bigger oval ports were and higher compression was the biggest gain. I'll check out straub tech and see what they got. Thanks for the recommendation.