Whats Your Favorite Towing Add-On

Discussion in 'Towing' started by Tom P, Nov 29, 2017.

1. BowtieBrody

BowtieBrody It doesn't take Rocket Appliances

Question for those who may be able to answer, probably not the right place but it looks like there's a few people posting on this thread who could give me a good idea of what I'd be up against;

Would I be able to get away with a slide-in/pop-up (1300lbs or so) in the bed of my truck, 20' trailer (2500lbs) and an S10 Truggy (rough guess with everything I'd like to build, probably around 3500 lbs, curb weight on one is 3024), if I was running air-bags, set up the trailer with a WD hitch, and towing grade wheel spacers? I'd probably be sitting right around 8000 lbs counting tools, other misc. gear, and people in the truck.

This is probably a pipe idea, but I'd rather have it all figured out long before I ever start building anything.

2. Supercharged111

Supercharged111 I'm Awesome

Dude, with my 1500 packing a 4+1 leaf pack I hauled over 1000# in the bed plus over 8000# of trailer to the scrap yard (with WD hitch). You will have zero issues with that little weight and a 5+1 pack.

BowtieBrody likes this.
  3. GarrettGmc

GarrettGmc I'm Awesome

What would be the tow rig? I'd suggest air bags with the weight distribution hitch. I'm not sure how wheel spacers would affect towing besides the possibility of better traction due to the stance.

4. Supercharged111

Supercharged111 I'm Awesome

He has an ECSB big block 2500.

I an attempt to make this thread more fruitful, I'll provide input based on my 1500. I consider mirrors and brake controllers mandatory and not an upgrade, so I'm leaving them out. I'm going to claim 2 mods as my #1: they're a 4.10 14BSF rear end (which increases braking) and the 4+1 7200 GVW rear leaf pack. Most noticeable of the 2 was of course the leaf pack, but the 9.5" rear end not only gave me back some lost acceleration with the 285s, but also a ton of peace of mind when it comes to durability. Didnt' hurt that the junkyard diff I landed had evidence of having recently been gone through, and super tight backlash.

5. dmhscorpion

dmhscorpion Newbie

HT383E Stroker ...

Chewy1576 and Biggershaft96 like this.
  6. CrustyJunker

CrustyJunker Tractor

My favorite towing add-on?

A $12, 4-pin trailer light adapter that actually works. Got it last year as a Christmas gift, took two minutes to install and safely tie back the rest. :roflsquared:

You guys would think I'm being sarcastic, you should've seen the disaster of wiring I pulled out. Self-proclaimed electricians at their best...It was a wonder how the factory tail lights even worked at all.

7. XJPhoenix

XJPhoenix Newbie

Has anyone added transmission temerature sensor?

That's going on my Jeep XJ in spring. I know that even though I have an add-on tranny cooler, I always wonder and fret a little over what my tranny is doing. For me, it'll be peace of mind. (Or a wake-up call! LoL)

:)

8. Nathaniel2g

Nathaniel2g Rusty Islander

I think it was mentioned further up, but you're definitely right. I just picked one up for my heavy half!

XJPhoenix likes this.
  9. GarrettGmc

GarrettGmc I'm Awesome

Oh another thing I though of was depending on what your towing it be nice to have camera mounted on the back of the trailer, especially 5th wheels.

Tom P likes this.
  10. Tom P

Tom P I'm Awesome

My backup camera kit has provisions to run two separate cameras, and I am very tempted to add a second camera to the back of my trailer.