What will i have to do to take out the AC in my truck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

naphidim

Reaction score
So i wanna take out my AC from my 1990 chevy cheyenne, i never use it, and i always just roll the windows down anyways.
What i need to know is, what is required to do this, and what will i have to replace?

plus figured getting rid of that compressor isn't the worst idea.

So anyone got the know hows on this one?

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
You live in San Antonio and you never need the ac? My wife is from Beaumont and I can't imagine a Texas summer without ac. I don't use mine much in NC, but if its raining or I'm dressed up for something, it's needed.

96Z71ECSB

Old Gearhead
Reaction score
I have to agree.
Just leave it in place whether you use it or not. Besides, you may want to use it sometime in the future.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
man if you want to remove it do so.

We have triple digits and high humidity here we never use a/c either just windows down and go on.

Now first up, do you have the alum bracket mounting setup? or the big steel horseshoe one like mine?

The alum. ones they make an a/c bypass pulley uses same belt you have. You'd need the system drained of freon, then un bolt stuff.

On mine with the steel bracket I found a bracket for the tensioner and a twensioner setup from a non a/c truck(rare and hard to find) but used a ford pulley to make it 6 rib since the non a/c was 4 rib, and got a different belt.

I removed everything underhood, left the evap core thing that's in the heater box under the dash in the plastic box in place.

It was simple, hardest part was pulling the core out from in front of the rad and that wasn't too hard.

I unbolted the compressor, the catch can and lines, and the core, mine had a hole in it so the freon was gone.

bow61509

GMT400 Thug Life!!
Reaction score
Why remove it at all? Just don't use it.

Sent from my Vortec Powered iPhone using Tapatalk

to free up the extra POWA!!! if you don't use it anyway might as well

sent from the eskanalierra lol

KReePiN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wouldnt a dummy pulley be the same as using the ac compressor as a dummy pulley? It spins freely when not in use......

naphidim

Reaction score
@ Swims350, its a the horseshoe one i believe, it just looks a lil stubbier than a regular horseshoe, and i have purchases the dorman help a/c bypass pulley already for it and it has the six grooves i need, but what else do i have to change and what can i just plain old take out all together?

@bow65109, correct for the extra power... i don't ever use it anyway

@all the people talking about the weather, i've lived here my whole life, it doesn't bother me,.....the weather here is no concern of yours....

looking for advice and help to make my truck, MINE, and not be judged, thank you

naphidim

Reaction score
would i have to get a new heater core, one for without ac?
really looking forward to taking out those evap lines as well
what about the radiator? would i need a new one that is for without ac?

naphidim

Reaction score
would i have to get a new heater core, one for without ac?
really looking forward to taking out those evap lines as well
what about the radiator? would i need a new one that is for without ac?