Votes: 113 24.7%
  • 15 to 16

Votes: 105 22.9%
  • 17 to 18

Votes: 53 11.6%
  • 19 or more

Votes: 24 5.2%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95six.five

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not really, unless you can talk to a fuel supplier in your area....not the pump jockey, not the station owner, not the guy driving the tanker trucks. You need to talk to the wholesaler who sells it to the garage to even have half a chance of knowing what's actually in the fuel you're getting.

I use a cetane booster in winter and the anit-gelling additives in winter diesel still drop my MPG a couple or so.

Thing is, we're really far north and it still rarely gets down low enough to gell diesel here....

How cold does it have to get to actually gel it? I guess i'll just have to wait till i get a drop in MPG to know. the lowest it's gotten here yet this year is 48f

glfirefighter144

Whoa Black Betty
Supporting Member
Reaction score

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
My mileage has dropped a little lately with the cold temps. Mostly due to idling it to get it to warm up I'd say. Was -6 this morning (21.2 for my American friends). 13.8 last tank.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
How cold does it have to get to actually gel it? I guess i'll just have to wait till i get a drop in MPG to know. the lowest it's gotten here yet this year is 48f

"gel" is a bit of a generalization for what happens to diesel in the cold. What actually happens is it gets could enough to congeal the paraffins in the fuel, they drop out and crystallize and then "glob up" the fuel system.

These are referred to as the cloud point, pour point and cold filter plug points. It ruins fuel filter and clogs lines. Winter diesel has additives that drops the cloud point of the fuel for enhanced cold weather tolerance.

http://www.ufa.com/petroleum/resources/fuel/diesel_fuel_resources.html

95six.five

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oh okay. This is my first time having a diesel so im still learning a bit, thanks great white! You give alot of wisdom to the site, especially with the 6.5's.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk now Free

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Oh okay. This is my first time having a diesel so im still learning a bit, thanks great white! You give alot of wisdom to the site, especially with the 6.5's.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk now Free

Unfortunately, I got that "wisdom" by mostly "hard learned" lessons......:rofl:

benz88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here we dont get Winter Diesel till Nov 1st, October's not cold enough to warrant them to switch it here. Sucks cause my shops heated with diesel and we've been running the past couple weeks on electric construction heater instead lol