Things are getting ugly.. What would you do??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I've said it more than a few times but when I did the full front end rebuild on my '92, years ago, I took the whole thing apart and drilled the ball joint rivets out on the drill press. That was cake.

What wasn't cake, was replacing the control arm bushings. What a PITA. That's why I said hell with it this time around and just bought loaded control arms.

Richard

Jimmy D

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Any frame shop worth it's salt can and does replace sections of frames regularly. They cut them loose at the factory seems and weld in a new or used one rather than scrapping the whole frame. There used to be a couple frame shops in Memphis we used many many years ago. I suggest letting a frame or collision repair shop have a look at it before doing any work to it just to see what has happened to it and how much it is tweaked. It may not be as bad as you imagined.

RacerM95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Problem is, just welding a washer to it wont fix the camber issue that is going to pop up ! Remember the lower lca pivot point is fixed on these trucks. so you do your camber adjustment from the top.. if the bottom was out the top wont come out as far..

boy&hisdogs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’m rehabbing my front end before new tie rods/shocks/alignment. I almost ordered new upper CA ball joints until I read how hard it was to remove the factory rivets. I think I’ll just replace the whole UCA assembly in the future. Seems a whole lot easier.

It's really not that bad. I've done it before. Just cut/drill the head off then punch it out with an air hammer. That air hammer will be worth it's weight in gold if you want to keep doing front end work on your truck. The one I have is $50 at home depot. What's your time worth?