What tool out of everything you have do you regard as your best investment.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What tool out of everything you have do you regard as your best investment? Originally I thought it was my 60 gallon air compressor. Next, I was saying it was my welder. And yes, both are top notch investment tools for car crafting. However today I am thinking that my best investment ever has been a simple $30 NAPA tire plugging kit. My reasoning is that my wife has the worst luck with tires. I am always plugging a car tire of hers. I have kept everything i have ever dug out of her tires as well. Today it was a nail. Its since been added to the punctured tire collection. If it's got T!T$ or tires you got trouble. Sheesh. Anyways, heres the goods, and the newly patched tire.

Attachments

• 20230818_123506.jpg
    20230818_123506.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 29
  • 20230818_123514.jpg
    20230818_123514.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 29

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I have a lot of tools, many inherited from my Dad. But one of my best investments is a nice Northern Tool floor jack. 3 ton, semi low profile, long handle. Heavy as he!! but it picks up either truck. Got it on sale and also used one of their mail circular discount coupons, so I got it for less than $100 which is half the regular price. Also got a pair of their heavy duty jackstands that have a lock pin in addition to the ratchet lock. Haven't had Rawhide on them yet but I've had the Burb on them several times. # 3 on that list would be the vintage Craftsman tools I've found at various swap meets, to put in the box that stays in the truck.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have two tools i never want to be without and they both make life so much easier when working on my truck.
32 lug nuts used to suc* rotating tires. Now not so bad.

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What tool out of everything you have do you regard as your best investment? Originally I thought it was my 60 gallon air compressor. Next, I was saying it was my welder. And yes, both are top notch investment tools for car crafting. However today I am thinking that my best investment ever has been a simple $30 NAPA tire plugging kit. My reasoning is that my wife has the worst luck with tires. I am always plugging a car tire of hers. I have kept everything i have ever dug out of her tires as well. Today it was a nail. Its since been added to the punctured tire collection. If it's got T!T$ or tires you got trouble. Sheesh. Anyways, heres the goods, and the newly patched tire.
You would be surprised how much the tire tread design affects how many punctures you get. I used to drive a tow truck and when the boss had a new set of tires fitted I started picking up at least two punctures a week when I had never even had one previously. After a few weeks of this he went back to the tire shop and had them on about it so they changed them over a set with a different tread pattern and I never had another puncture after that.

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You would be surprised how much the tire tread design affects how many punctures you get. I used to drive a tow truck and when the boss had a new set of tires fitted I started picking up at least two punctures a week when I had never even had one previously. After a few weeks of this he went back to the tire shop and had them on about it so they changed them over a set with a different tread pattern and I never had another puncture after that.
I can definitely see how that could affect this, However, If that's the case, then every type of tire she has had for the last 10 years was designed to hoover up stuff. I even removed a damn fender bolt from a tire of hers.

By the same token, I have plugged exactly 2 flats on my car in 10 years. She has had close to 20 and counting in that same time. Different vehicles, different manufacturers tires. I have a 2&1/2 ton floor jack, 2 ton jack stands, and a lot of different tools, but the plug kit beats them all.

I recently got an electric 1/2" drive impact gun. I havent used it yet. Have not had a need to yet. I also have an air one, but will reserve my judgement until I use this one.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I have two tools i never want to be without and they both make life so much easier when working on my truck.
32 lug nuts used to suc* rotating tires. Now not so bad.
Yup I used my Metabo cordless impact gun today, and I like it! Had no trouble removing a lug nut off Rawhide, needed to check the threads on some nuts I found from one of my square body Burbs. Look the same but are different threads, now I know those can go in the sale box.

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
Hard to pick the best tool, I have accumulated a pretty good assortment over the years. But sitting here thinking about it, I'd have to say, the Craftsman ratchet and socket set, that I've had since I was a teenager(1980s) It was my first tool set, and still my go to. Of course, out of the 3 ratchets in the kit 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 drive. The 1/2 is the only original. I'm on my fourth 3/8 drive, and third 1/4. Each one having been replaced free through Sears, making use of that life time warranty.

I got my moneys worth out that set, a long time ago.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Soooo many tools that I could have here but as much as I love electric or pneumatic versions of my hand tools, there is one tool that I couldn't be without, my gantry crane. I set it up with a 110v winch and it sits on 6" C channel that is 20' long (I should have gone longer). It does the lifting that I can't. A forklift would be sweet but would get stuck in my gravel. A tractor would be cool but it would have to be big enough and heavy enough to lift as high as I need.
You must be registered for see images attach