Update. Thoughts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Portedfrankenstien

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Build thread... I guess

You must be registered for see images attach

So the third picture isn't actually my truck. But it's what mine basically looked like when I bought it 8 months ago. Since I bought it, I've played with it a bit. New idler and Putnam arms. New sway bar links all around. Larger piston truck shocks. Fabricated a steering stabilizer. Cleaned and painted the frame and under carriage. Cranked the tb and threw up some 285/75r16s. Ditched the stock wheels for some mb72s, which I painted not long after. Built a roof rack. Built a 3" magnaflow exhaust, and eliminated the cat. Throttle body spacer. And just some basic odds and ends. Currently fabricating a rear swing away spare tire carrier. Thanks for any thoughts

Last edited:

dowsewashere

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Like it a lot but I maybe impartial because I love my green tahoe. Truck looks clean. What year and mileage on this thing?

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
Good Lookin' - I like what you've done with it so far.

I was gonna ask where you got your roof rack (I want to find one for my Burb), but I see you mentioned you built it =(.

Portedfrankenstien

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's a 95, so it's tbi. But I don't mind the tbi. I has 190k on the dial, but runs really strong. Great thing is, I picked it up for $1000. Your Tahoe looks a lot cleaner than mine. But I like your idea for the spare tire.

Portedfrankenstien

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, I built the roof rack. A lot of the ones I was seeing looked really flimsy, and weak. Not to mention the price tags on them. Great things like roof racks are built when you work in an exhaust shop, and work is slow at the time. Ha ha. Whole thing cost me an unreal $50. Paint and all

rosco

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good looking Tahoe!! Looks like you left the factory roof rails, how did you attach the roof rack? I'm wanting to build one myself, just haven't quite figured out that part yet.

Portedfrankenstien

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good looking Tahoe!! Looks like you left the factory roof rails, how did you attach the roof rack? I'm wanting to build one myself, just haven't quite figured out that part yet.

I just used 8 pieces of 3/8" steel plate. 2" wide and 5 inches long. Drilled 2 holes in each. Welded 4 to the bottom of the rack so they would reach to the furthest points on the cross rails of the factory rack. Bolted the other 4 to them, so they worked like clamps. I used locktite and lock nuts for safety. It worked out perfectly, and you can't see them. I hope this helps.

Last edited:

rosco

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just used 8 pieces of 3/8" steel plate. 2" wide and 5 inches long. Drilled 2 holes in each. Welded 4 to the bottom of the rack so they would reach to the furthest points on the cross rails of the factory rack. Bolted the other 4 to them, so they worked like clamps. I used locktite and lock nuts for safety. It worked out perfectly, and you can't see them. I hope this helps.

It does. Thanks!! That sounds alot easier and cleaner than what I was thinking about doing. I was trying to figure out something using a ubolt.

dowsewashere

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's a 95, so it's tbi. But I don't mind the tbi. I has 190k on the dial, but runs really strong. Great thing is, I picked it up for $1000. Your Tahoe looks a lot cleaner than mine. But I like your idea for the spare tire.

Thanks! But there is absolutely no way. My tahoe is BEAT. Lots of rust. Heck you can see my hole in the rear bumper. Mines got 156,000. I love the 285's.