Front end rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

arambis

Reaction score
I have a 1998 chevy k2500 4x4 8lug truck. I am currently looking to rebuild the front end steering components at 150xxx as some stuff has gotten sloppy. Here is my current parts list.

Mevotech TTX upper and lower balljoints
Mevotech TTX inner and outer tie rods
Cunningham tie rod sleeves
Proforged idler arm bracket
Proforged idler arm
Proforged pitman arm
Proforged sway bar end links
Rancho Steering stabilizer
Rancho shocks
Polyurethane upper/lower control arm and sway bar bushings

Trying to buy good stuff within reason price wise, already looking at just under 1k in all these parts mentioned already. am i forgetting anything or is there anything i should substitute? Also do I need to buy a new centerlink and sway bar? I didn't see any reason I couldn't just reuse my old ones.

Last edited:

99xcss4

frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
ad a new rag joint to the list and a reman/rebuilt steering gear box unless you have the money for a new one then get a new one if you can new upper control arm bushings new lower control arm bushings new wheel bearings new cv axles

arambis

Reaction score
ad a new rag joint to the list and a reman/rebuilt steering gear box unless you have the money for a new one then get a new one if you can new upper control arm bushings new lower control arm bushings new wheel bearings new cv axles
I actually did new wheel bearings, wheel hubs, brake pads, brake calipers, and brake hoses last year. I figured I could just do the rag joint eliminator whenever really, and thought I'd just wait out the current steering gear box (unless my current one is leaking which it might be) and also wait out my cv axles. Would you advise against waiting those out? And if so what axles and steering gear box would you recommend? Is a red head steering box worth the money or is there a quality cheaper one I could get?

arambis

Reaction score
I also considered getting a cognito idler arm support but figured I'd just hold off for now. Does anybody that has them say they are worth the extra money?

99xcss4

Reaction score
never used a red head box if your steering box is leaking replace it I have done a steering box replacement once and I think it came from detroit axle I think do not remember might have also got cv axles from them as well I did not know that they had a rag joint delete for the 95+ trucks

99xcss4

Reaction score
you can hold off on the cvs as long as the boots are not torn/cracked I would do them just because you will have the whole front end a part but if they are in good shape you can pass on them

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What’s the difference in price for the Rancho shocks compared to Bilstein 4600’s? If not Bilstein’s, KYB MonoMax would be my 2nd choice.
Check this out for gearbox, many replace instead of correctly adjusting.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

arambis

Reaction score
never used a red head box if your steering box is leaking replace it I have done a steering box replacement once and I think it came from detroit axle I think do not remember might have also got cv axles from them as well I did not know that they had a rag joint delete for the 95+ trucks
Ah ok, Cunningham machine and Borgeson on summit sells rag joint eliminators for my 98 supposedly

arambis

Reaction score
What’s the difference in price for the Rancho shocks compared to Bilstein 4600’s? If not Bilstein’s, KYB MonoMax would be my 2nd choice.
Check this out for gearbox, many replace instead of correctly adjusting.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Good to know, I would have bought bilisteins but just needed something better right away while I was working on it a year ago and that was readily available. So far the Ranchos have been great as the og shocks were completely shot but I believe they were about 50 dollars a peice, close to a 50 dollar difference I think from the bilisteins. Either way don't regret buying them but would have liked Bilisteins just cause.