Tyler's DD/plaything

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Got it running. Had to reset all my valves because they were way too tight the first time because I adjusted them a few times thinking they couldn't be loose at all. After I loosened them and finding top dead center on 1 I adjusted them, got the distributor with some help of pics and a call from skylark. Fired right up. The exhaust leaks from the donut flanges because the clamps are all rotted. It idles and runs but real rough due to the leaks. It is on a trailer and headed to an exhaust shop in the morning to get new clamps installed. Hopefully she smooths out enough to be driven on its own. Then it's going to get the timing fine tuned.

sent from a likely flagged smartphone.

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
I threw in the towel today. I'm done with it. Only four cylinders are firing.

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Picked up from the shop yesterday. They adjusted the valves. Again. And set final timing adjustment. Runs like a top! I'm saying screw it and getting new Magna flow catalytic convertors today. Also picked up two new front drive shaft u joints. I got a bad one and it's vibrating at speed. New air filter is in.

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Forgot I have a legit battery hold down now! No more bungee cords!

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Got the new cats on. Man these things are beefy. Flanges are rock solid. Not flimsy pressed deals you can bend just looking at them the right way. All shiny stainless as well. With a new mid pipe flange. Sadly I was unable to do anything to get the rest of the exhaust hooked up so the rear 2 sensors are out and it dumps right under the passenger seat. Lord have mercy. The resonating in the cab is horrendous. It's bad enough it will turn your stomach sour. And give you a headache from hell.

So new problem. Determine why the hell it stalls when turning a hard left. Easy left it will be fine or sputter and miss a few beats. Hard left and it cuts out. Long hard left and it dies. Right turns are fine. Hard launches are alright. Battery is tighter than its ever been and I checked all the cables and grounds twice. And filled the tank. I'm stumped.

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Well I have to find it now. It died in the middle of a drifted over road. No fuel pump no taillights. Four ways wouldn't work in back. Got rescued by a buddy in one of our plow trucks and the tails flickered and now work again. Still no fuel pump. Where's the grounds for that rear harness?

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Today I had to get the sucker running so we could go pick up a 6.0 for my buddy's truck. Out in the below zero temps I went with my trusty wire strippers and mini torch. Ran a wire from the hot post in the fuse box into the cab and hung a switch under the steering wheel. Ran back out down the firewall on top of the cab mount bracket and through the emergency brake cables holders up to the pump side of the harness. Hit the switch. Nothing. Flipped it the other way. Nothing. The F?!?

Test light came back out. Power was good. Tested the truck harness with key on. Sure enough. Lit right up. You're kidding me. It was a ground. So I just grabbed another heat shrink butt connector and snipped my CB antenna ground since I knew that was good. Hit the switch. Boom. Pump is on. Cool. Truck ran 100 miles today and didn't skip a beat. The rigged up wiring will be off in a couple days so I wasn't worried about extra wire under the hood or cutting zip tie tails. It'll work til I can get it in a garage and fix the proper ground and reconnect the harness power wire. For now it's race truck status. But it runs. Pics will come when I fix it properly.

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
On my way into work last night I noticed a vibration. Figured it was Driveline like ice or snow in a wheel since I had to do some drift busting earlier in the day and It was super cold. I'd check it today when the sun came out. Got to work and plowed a good 7 hours. Got back let her warm up like always while I rinsed off a couple plow trucks. Jumped in and no headlights. (completely unrelated and hasn't happened since. It was a sign from God and I ignored it) adjusted the LED bar up and started homeward. Half mile later the headlights come on. Sweet. I'm out in the country some so I bump up to 55 Now that I have legal lighting. Go through a little intersection town and notice a random misfire. . Keep going. Just gotta get home and check it out. Hit a bump and consistent misfire. No. Nother dip and a backfire. Oh . Hit a hill and she started shaking with multiple misfires now and random but constant backfires. No no no no. The next major intersection is a half mile down the other side of the hill. And there's lights and a bank lot I can park in. Corner Edge of a suburb basically. So I lay it to the wood and she stops backfiring but continues shaking and multiple misfires. Let off as I crest the hill and it smooths out til it's at coasting rpm and she begins lugging down. Back to the floor and it can only pull about 2500 with nonstop backfiring and multiple misfires. She keeps losing power and rpm and dies about 200ft from the light. I check side traffic blow the red and coast into the bank lot. It's 5 am. Attempt to start and it rolls over twice misses twice backfires and coughs I pedal it to life and it idles but still backfires misses and shudders and starts dying. I catch it and it runs up to about 1500 and lugs down and stalls. Was able to do that once more and then just the rough crank cycle. Til I ran low on juice. Buddy with the crew cab left work just before me when I was messing with the bar and he flew my way. Hooked up some badass cables I got. These things are legit. No Walmart specials. I've used em to start semis. Let it sit for about 5 and tried cranking. Starter is having a tough time. Backfire. Couple revolutions and hard spot again. This time. The starter can't overcome whatever is stopping it. A loud pop and I see sparks. Jump out and the tips of the negative side are cherry red. Disconnected them. Cool. Those were dads. Hooked a strap and towed it to my buddy's. Distributor is tight. All fluids are up to level and clean as a whistle. No leaks, holes anything exterior visually checks out.

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Got my hands on a multi meter and started running through the diagnosing process after finding compression, spark, and fuel, on all 8 cylinders. Distributor was lined up properly, no noises with the plugs out and rotating the crank by hand. Nice and smooth. So it was on to timing. A few cranks and some work with the multi meter and I came to the conclusion my ICM had failed. Popped a new one on the heat sink and she fired right up. Still had a miss and it was bleeding off compression on a cylinder so it went back to the shop that adjusted the rockers They loosened up the number two rocker and she runs like a dream again!