Tyler's DD/plaything

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Well there's a change in plans. No longer doing new cats and sensors. I don't have the funds for that right now. So instead I'm going to knock out my current cats, forget the sensors, pull the heads, have them cleaned and checked, valve seals installed and bolts drilled. I have the shop picked out already. I'm patiently waiting for a couple unemployment payments tomorrow and I'll be ordering a new AEM dry flow filter, valve seals, ARP head stud kit, gasket kit, and recon smoked tailgate mini light bar instead. Cats are almost $500 and sensors are extra. Don't have a grand to drop in my exhaust right now. I gotta save just in case I need valve train parts or new heads.

sent from a likely flagged smartphone.

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
It's going under the knife y'all.
You must be registered for see images

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
that's my drivers rear cylinder section of the manifold. Aside from maybe a 1/4 inch of metal the manifold was split in two. I finished the break by hand.
I'm also one very blessed son of a gun. No broken bolts other than the one that was broke when I bought it. So far. I even got this **** sucker out without it crumbling. I'm getting a new one just to be safe though. It was beginning to corrode pretty bad at the bottom.

The wall of shame.

looks like we are getting somewhere. More to come tomorrow.

Last edited:

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Day two began a little late as we were pooped from working on my truck. Earlier that day my buddies ended up pulling the motor out of an 88 one of them had bought the previous night. So one motor pulled and stripped and another half way apart whooped them out. I did most of the parts pulling on mine so I was beat as well after working around the house all day.

We had two bolts left on the drivers manifold. well what was left of it at least. After a trip for propane for the heater and some other supplies we were back at it around noon. Gave up on wrenching on it or attempting to. A little convincing with the map gas hot wrench and a strong set of vise grips got the front one out. Disconnected the EGR tube from the intake. A few bends and we snapped the rest off the exhaust manifold for some more working room. Hot wrench went on the back bolt for a bit and it wouldn't budge. 3/4 rounded off. Was not looking good. Being the last bolt I smacked the manifold with a hammer and it rotated a little! Few more hits and I had more space to work with. More heat and a pair of pliers got it moving freely. The battle was won! Both manifolds came off with no more broken bolts! Next was the upper intake, valve covers, lower intake and finally the heads! She's tucked into my buddy's garage without a hood and rags over the motor.

This is just ugly. The heads are fairly clean valve train wise. Thanks to my running full synthetic the past five years she's cleaned up a ton. Valve covers were spotless. No milky moisture pockets and no grime at all. I ram my finger inside and I got nothing but clean oil on my fingers. This engine has 252 and some change on the odometer with nothing but intake gaskets. Having it that clean just made my day.

The intake on the other hand is just morbid. It's like a mascara bomb went off in there. If it wasn't for the gasket surfaces being shiny aluminum I would have thought it was just plastic. It's BAD. I made the decision that The EGR will never ever be hooked up ever again. Ever. The valve seals will be coming with the fel-pro gasket kit. I ordered ARP head bolts today. Depending on the tax return I may get cats and sensors then. Until that happens I'm getting new flanges on my pipes and I'm knocking out my convertors for better flow. AEM dry flow filter will be spec'd and ordered tomorrow. Intake and heads are going to performance engineering tomorrow as well to be cleaned up, checked and have valve seals installed.

Thanks to Crew Cab Steve if I get the all clear that The heads are good I may do a set of 1.6 rockers for more lift and power. Apparently it's not a bunch more but for the cost, the claims of up to 30hp seems worth it. All depends where the budget is. I'll probably end up getting push rods if my current ones don't clean up to my standards. They all drained a ton of oil but they got alot of crud on them. May try to clean off the piston tops tomorrow as well. It'll be cleaning and planning day. Vacuum out all the junk from the tear down, degrease what I can see, and cover it back up.

Way easier to change oil this way. You can get right to the filter. Only about a days worth of work. You can even do head gaskets while you're in there!

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Bought a head gasket set today and new spark plugs. Got a cap for The EGR port on the header side. Just need to get a plug for the intake now. Glad that is going away.

Heads, intake, and valve seals got dropped off at the engine shop too. Should be nice and clean by Tuesday. Valves will be checked for leaks and I'll have them grind them if they don't seal. Depending on the damage there I may just order a set of 1.6 rockers. I doubt it because I had some injector tabs snap during removal. That's a $400 repair if they don't lock in or they leak. Apparently there is a new style that is being used where the injector connector is actually a plug right at the nozzle. I haven't messed with fuel injection on this truck before so I may be saying it all wrong. I'm just hoping I don't need a big buck item like that. Air filter is getting ordered right now. Gonna run an AEM dry flow. I'm sick of oiled filters being plugged after one trip to the dunes and cleaning every fall and spring or sooner depending on how many trips I make to the dunes, down dirt roads and trails.

Last edited:

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Today was cleaning day. After 252,000 solid miles of combustion buildup, years of oil burning (became obvious lately) and over fueling for who knows is how long I had to clean a crust off the piston heads that was insane. Some of the valve reliefs were completely filled in. Five hours of scraping, wiping and some other ideas and the results surprised the crap out of me.

If anyone is Interested in my processes I'll be happy to post them.

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
EGR block off cap.

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
I finally got word on my heads and intake! Everything checked out great! Valves sealed no problem! Head sealing surface was perfect. Valve seals went in no issue. And it all cleaned up nice. Off to go pick them up soon

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
I'm so excited everything started going back together tonight! Heads and intake installed and torqued and I got one header on and hooked up. Valve lash, upper intake, EGR intake plug, block off plate, valve covers, are next. Not sure when. I'm dog sitting this week so I don't have a bunch of free time. Plus the house I'm staying at just had this happen
but that's another thread. On to the build pics!!!

these suckers are sweet. Been patiently awaiting their arrival and I was finally able to pick them up today along with the heads and intake. It all looks so nice. Glad it's finally coming together.

got both heads on and torqued. Starting to look like a motor again!

finally! Got one on and tight. Hooked up the pipe and called it a day after the intake went on. My shoulder couldn't take much more and my buddy's back was done for the night as well. Still need some parts to finish it up. Namely EGR delete items.

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Hope to have it running today!!!! Got the intake and throttle body and most of the other stuff up top back on. New plugs are in (bit of a chore with the headers.) both exhaust sides hooked up. Valves are adjusted properly I hope. It was my first time doing rockers. Yesterday.

Timing is the only thing any of the three of us can see having an issue with. Engine has been rotated more times than we can count. Pretty much a guessing game I think. Front belt drive parts need to go on and lines hooked up. Hoping she runs.