Tyler's DD/plaything

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
1997 Chevrolet K1500 Silverado 4x4 Ext. cab short bed. 350/4L60e/3.73. Green and tan ext. tan int. 265/75/16 Toyo Open Country A/T standard load 35psi tires on stock wheels. Magnaflow cats and pipes the rest of the way. Downey products (awesome) tonneau cover. Black diamond plate aluminum tailgate cap. Autozone special cold air intake. AVS smoked bug shield and vent visors.

The day I bought it. 176,455miles clean title. Minimal rust on tailgate and frame. Solid fenders and rockers little above windshield. $4,000 cash paid.
You must be registered for see images attach

This was three years ago this month (April 2013). It's had some bumps and bruises since as well as its fair share of minor upgrades. As of this moment I have some money trouble due to some bad financial decisions shortly after buying the truck so all my additions have been minor and will be till I get on better terms with my wallet.

Future plans:

4 inch RCX

Procomp 1069's 17x9 wrapped in 285/75/17 nitto dune grapplers

Black brush guard

Headache rack either custom built or a back rack. I'm leaning toward custom

Fix fenders and rusty cab corners and rockers.

Fender fares color matched

Fix tailgate

Spray in bedliner.

I will daily the truck like this until I get a newer truck (03-05 Cummins). At that point the truck will be taken apart down to every last bolt. Full restoration will begin. The 350 and rest of the driveline will be scrapped for a four linked SAS front. Gmt800 hd rear four linked. A built 8.1 and Allison. It will be a sand toy and show truck. Paint and interior are :secret:

Last edited:

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
I'm trying to get and find pics of all the little things I have done. It won't necessarily always m be in chronological order but I'll cover everything. Damage and stuff is next.

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
So here's the damage I've done so far.

Hit by open utility trailer doing 80 down the highway. This resulted in needing a new front bumper.
rim still holds air like it should and I've had the tires down to 8psi all day on sand dunes with no problem.

Caught a tree while wheeling

Backed into another tree while wheeling. Had no reverse lights and it was dark so I never saw it. There's a video somewhere. I will try to find it. This enlarged this dent in the bumper so I replaced it when the plastic pad popped loose.

That sums up all the physical damage that my old Chevy has seen. Minus some dings and scratches from daily use. Nothing severe.

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
This begins the long list of mods. Not all in order but here goes nothin.
volant cold air intake. I was sick of the cheap looking autozone intake. Plus I wanted to rid my throttle body of that restrictive turbulence generating Vortec upper intake plenum deal. $210

Craigslist find. Weatherguard's dang near too end toolbox with two keys and working locks. Unmolested by kids mounting cb whips on mirror mounts self tapped into the sides. Sure it is a little faded but its $600 new. I paid $130. The bed mat in this pic was dang nice but got stolen about a year ago when it sat at a park and ride while I took a weekend trip to D.C. Now I have a cheaper thinner one.

Husky Liners! Just the driver and passenger side for now. Ill consider the center hump the winter after this coming. The rear won't happen til I have kids. Which is a long ways down the road.

Pioneer head unit. Gift from the gf for my bday because she was tired of my skipping CD player and unlit buttons. Came with two 4x6 speakers now installed in the doors. Also two 6x9s that went in her car cause they wouldn't fit the truck. I have two pioneer 4x6s in the back now. Also added a 750 watt pioneer amp I got from a buddy so I don't know RMS specs. And hooked to a JLAudio 12" sub on the seat for now.

This is the money pit addiction. HID/LED. Started with a spare 35 watt low beam kit a buddy had laying around that I picked up for $30. This escalated to me running a HD harness for the lows. Then I got a 55watt high beam kit for Christmas and ran a 4Hi mod and HD harness for the highs.

Recently continued the LED swap. Door courtesy's, glove box and license plates have been done for awhile cheap 10 for $10 white eBay LEDs. MOBS supplied the under dash and cluster lights. Replaced the glove box with a MOBS led because its way brighter.

Smoked eBay LED tails. This was more of a functionality solution than an aesthetic modification. This would have made my third set of lenses and fourth set of circuit boards in three years of ownership. I was tired of fixing them. Could be alot brighter but for $100 I won't *****. Reverses were standard bulbs so I opted to upgrade to MOBS' $50 bulbs. Holy hell are they bright. Worth every penny.
Installed. The tailgate was a lucky junkyard score. No real blemishes. But it was maroon. I taped the banner and sanded and spray bomb primed. Looks like ass but grey is better than red. When I get some time and money next year I will get it painted to match at a body shop.

$20 driving lights from Wally World. Came with wiring and switch. Bracket is a 2012 international tran star front license plate bracket cut and bent to the front bumper contours of my truck. Slid it behind my stock front license plate holder and bump strip and attached with the bolts. Works awesome. Will swap for LEDs or HID's when I get a brush guard.
Also in this is the 6 piece Lund grille covers. Free with the almost new grille I have in storage.

Window tint!!! Matched the rear privacy glass $60. Was told its like 20% or 35%. Either way I love it. Also went in a spending spree and got stainless Team Realtree emblems for the rear of the cab. The third door side is wicked close to not working. I have a part of the emblem inside the flip out window edge and a little hangs over the door edge but it doesn't catch the paint ever. Other stickers include

Ted Nugent for president
American Flag Bear Archery decal
Terrorist and zombie hunting permits.
Anti Obama omg wtf
Magnaflow performance
Two Apple inc placed inconspicuously
Got Sand?
2x Loud pipes save lives on inside toolbox lid
American Flag Cabela's stickers on rear sides
More to come

Last edited:

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Arrow antenna! Double Take Archery IIRC. Was running an aluminum arrow on my stock antenna and it finally fatigued the antenna enough that it snapped getting on the highway. They landed on my mirror so I retrieved them both while driving. $35

Cobra 29 classic. Free. Doesn't receive for ****. Will be replaced with a Cobra 29 NightWatch in the future. I just use while convoying with friends on trips, stuck in traffic, and while wheeling. All close range. The mount is my custom creation. I have flat hole stock like the 90* running under the floor mat to the center seat bolt. Works alright. Could be cleaner. Ill think about it someday.
Custom whip mounts. I used old camper shell clamps with some flat stock. Color matched cause I was bored.

5 year old energizer battery took a dump at work. Lucky me we had the interstate I wanted sitting in the parts room. My name was all over it hahaha. $80

Last edited:

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Overhead console from a Burb. It's
Grey but I don't care. My headliner will be Realtree APG at some point. I ain't ever selling the truck an I sleep fine at night knowing it doesn't match.

Lund Moon Visor! Good shape. Craigslist find. Needed wiring and lenses.

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Found my mysterious passenger side rattle. Good thing a new rear pair is only $26.

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
So recently did some much needed work in the maintenance department. New left front caliper and right rear wheel cylinder. Bleeders on the other two corners. Bled the brakes. Threw a new yoke on the front of the tcase. Got my front shaft back in. No pics of this. It's nothing too special. The upgrade was a 10bolt GMT-800 diff cover and AMSOIL 80-90 synthetic gear oil.

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
So I wheeled it a couple times and bled the brakes again with the help of the gf. I finally have a decent brake pedal back again. Also got an alignment. My toe in was horrible and eating the outsides of my BFG's.

Latest addition.....underhood storage box. And cleaned up my HID's mess on that side.

Tyler/T-Unit

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Back window shot. Only stickers you can't see are the Cabela's and my front banner.

Tyler/T-Unit