Tyler's DD/plaything

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Today the sun finally came out. Drove down to my buddy's to check out his new LED tails on his crew cab and look at an oil filter problem he's been fighting and I got ambitious. Pulled and cleaned all the junk out of my tool box and made space for my bag of tools that has been residing in my back seat for months. While the weatherguard was out I yanked the bed mat and got the leaves and sticks and stuff that wasn't still frozen to the bed out. Also fixed the fuel pump wiring that I had bypassed with a remote switch. I was tired of flipping a switch to turn the pump on and it was only a matter of time before I forgot to shut it off and drained my battery, blew a line, or burned up a nearly new pump. Also decided to wire in my cargo lights. Threw a second gasket on there too because the third brake light I bought is for a regular cab. And nobody makes a smoked one for an extended cab that I can find. The angle on a regular cab is sharper so the light has a nice gap at the top. Second gasket filled it in. Hoping water doesn't pour in in car washes now.

sent from a likely flagged smartphone.

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images
this third brake needed 194 sockets wired in. The entire unit is now hard wired. When it comes time I'll get a weather pack terminal kit and make plugs for it and some other items I would like to wire differently. For now it works great. I'm very pleased. It lights the bed up a little more than the old stock lights.

Oops. I sneezed.

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score

Well I got it quickly installed and wired. I'm waiting to get some good night shots and hook up the reverse function but I love this little bar. Really "makes Dat ass pop." haha

Last edited:

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Pile crawling. Pretty impressive. Walked right up with no front drive shaft. Even got the hitch to drag

On a side note I cannot wait to go back to work. Those new fenders and grille have been knocking in my head to get put on. Driving me nuts having a truck with all these sweet lights and rusty dented to hell front fenders. Plus that muffler has been making my butt twitch. Money is a bit tight. Might have to wait to get the exhaust finished.

This warmer weather is really nice for making working outside bearable. I got ambitious again today. Hooked up the reverse function on the mini bar and I found my stock trailer wiring pigtail so I wired in my flat four, got Evey thing loomed up in a very factory looking manner with all heat shrink butt connectors getting another layer of clear heat shrink tube just for good measure and all neatly tucked up and out of the way. The connector comes out between the hitch and bumper and the plastic cap sits right where the hitch pin hole is so I put the pin through the cap strap and the clip keeps it nice and retained with no loose wires and no extra stress on the wiring or cap. I'm very pleased with how it all lines up.

Last edited:

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Finally got the exhaust on. It's not complete as the pipe bender was being finicky and the exhaust guy was running a four man shop on his own the day I came in. I have mid pipes the super 40 and turn downs. It's so quiet. I hate it. It doesn't sound right the muffler sits low and you can see it and the turn downs. But it doesn't leak and it's no longer a headache to drive. Plus he gave me a huge discount that day and he will discount the final exhaust job because of all the delays and issues. I'll have my correct exhaust this fall or next spring.

This truck runs like it never has before. I have so much more power and response. Plus my fuel economy is at a record high. I'm so happy right now.

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Thought it might be time for an update as I haven't posted one in a bit.

Nothing new really at all. Switched to a NAPA platinum filter. That's honestly the only change I've made. I've had it up to the dunes a few times now and she performs so well. I'm very happy with the results of the headers and exhaust and engine clean up. It really made a world of difference. It runs like a new truck. Just need it to ride like one now.

Some pics from the dunes
playing on the drag strip. This thing is fast. Until I hit the top of third. In 4x4 it hates shifting to fourth. It'll hold third at the limiter forever and then dogs out when it finally hits fourth. I can let off to get it to shift. I kept up with my buddy's 468 until I topped out of third. Had him off the line because I have a traction advantage. He was slowly pulling up and by me until I ran out of third gear. Then he was gone and I got covered in wet sand from his bigger diggers.

I found some clay under all the sand. What a mess. Got it all cleaned off though.

sisters bf got himself a 97 ex plow truck. It's rough.

got a little stuck. I was able to move but I kept inching closer to that fence every time I moved. I played it safe and had a jeep keep tension on a strap as I spun my way up and out of the hole. Flexin hard too.

ten foot cleared here. Nice soft landing too. Spent some time in this spot stretching her legs out.

everyone in this pic broke something besides me over that weekend. I was so proud. Everyone's trailered rides broke. One daily driver blew his engine. They all give me crap about my old junker truck and how I need to sell it because it's a pile of rusty shiit but I'm the only one who drives 100 miles up, beats it just as hard if not harder than they do and drives home. One guy went as far as to say his blown tire tube didn't count as a break because tires aren't a part of the truck. Someone chimed in and told him to take off the iroks and take it for a drive then.

Sadly my luck ran out too though. I ran into a concrete filled double wall fire pit on the way out of the campground.
the doors function flawlessly as does the window and latches. It did nothing but dents and scrapes. So it's staying. I'm Getting southern body body parts in a few years so spending money on this body is a waste of money really. It's ugly and I hate it but I'm over it. Functionally nothing is wrong.

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
So my brakes shiit the the morning of the fourth of July. I was planning to blow an entire tank of fuel driving around with my flags but when I hit the brake and shifted from park I started rolling with the brake on the floor. Limped it to the Gfs parents house with the e brake as my only stopping capability. Man am I happy that the thing still works.

I found my problem I short order. But it was July 4. What part store would be open on Independence Day? NAPA. They were only open til two. At 1 I picked up brake parts for 10&11 5/32" brakes because I didn't have time to measure anything. I spent the day in the driveway. I had a blown wheel cylinder which was leaking for awhile. When I got to the last side I found a bent adjuster rod. Nut wouldn't back out over the bend. At 5:45 I call Advanced Auto. They have both sides in stock. They close at 6. 15 minutes away. I got there in ten. Now I have new shoes, drums, drivers wheel cylinder, adjusters, hardware, and a good bleed.

Still had a soft pedal. Didn't apply brakes til half travel and was soft to the floor with half the pressure it should have. It would slow me down but not much. Slowly pressure came back while out and about. I think there was air in the m/c that burped out.

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Wow. Been awhile since I've updated this. Gonna pull some pics off the old phone soon and do an update. Not much is new yet. Did a windshield brow tint strip, have a new HD headlight harness on order, and pulled off the banner to prepare for something awesome.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Time for another update finally.

My starter literally shiit itself. I hit remote start one morning and it turned over once and sparks hit the floor. After running outside in 30 degree weather in a T-shirt and boxers to ensure nothing was in flames I properly dressed myself and checked everything over closer. Seems the small white wire going to the solenoid fried. Insulation was cooked and bare strands were all that was left. I bought a brand new NAPA starter and replaced the burned section of wire. She starts like a dream now.

Also got my HIDs and new wiring harness installed. I'm very pleased so far. I found my storage box that I intended to sell but after getting the new harness roughly routed I'm gonna end up using that box and tossing the one I have. I put a ton of holes in it and they're all very poorly located and executed. It bothers me seeing a hacked up looking part even though nobody ever pays attention to stuff like that.

The cause of all my headlight woes. Don't buy cheap harnesses. Build it yourself or spend good money. My truck never saw any exceptionally hard soaking or anything. All the plugs were well tucked away from any road salt or direct rain and road spray. The relay plugs were behind the fan shroud. They never got wet. This is also what damn near burned my truck to the ground.

this is the new harness. Bought from Jabin from the 67-72 forum. Wiring is all larger gauge. Plugs are factory style. Not cheap universal stuff. Relays are remote gang mount style and he built it so I can mount them inside my dry storage box. Fuse is weather pack type with a mountable cap and located inside the storage box as well. He loomed it and sent new clips to mount the harness on the fan shroud. I drilled a couple new holes paying close attention to not punch my radiator. I'm very impressed and can't wait to finish this one up. It wasn't cheap but I'm happy I spent the money this time.

HIDs are opt7. Bought from eBay. Same brand as the LED bar which I am also very happy with. I went 55watt all the way around 6,000k color temp. They had a small sale which made the purchase a little sweeter. Not sure how I feel about the air box mounting on the passenger side but it's dry there and they are secure instead of being jammed in by the battery like the last set. All came with mounting brackets, extension harnesses and a weather proof bulb lead harness. Coupled with the new front light harness the lights are visibly brighter. I just need to aim the headlights now. They're pointed a tad lower than they should be but I was shooting the tree tops on the first test run with the low beams.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Last edited: