Twin Subs, 1999 K1500 and C1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

redfishsc

Tired of fixing lousy engineering.
Reaction score
This gold K 1500 has a lot of clear coat fading and cracking on the hood, it looks great everywhere else. I have a quipment available to me that I can repaint it myself, I'm thinking of doing it cheap and going over it with just a satin black. Sherwin Williams All Surface Enamel I can get a quart for free, we use it at work, its quite tough.

What do you guys think? If I did the hood, should I do the grill and both bumpers as well?

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
FYI if a 2wd is like a 4wd there are knockout plates in the upper control arm mounts that need to be punched out and then your truck will be able to be aligned better than it ever has. You'll eat more labor when the alignment techs do this FYI, but it's absolutely necessary to get that thing driving like a new truck.

jasons99hoe

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
FYI if a 2wd is like a 4wd there are knockout plates in the upper control arm mounts that need to be punched out and then your truck will be able to be aligned better than it ever has. You'll eat more labor when the alignment techs do this FYI, but it's absolutely necessary to get that thing driving like a new truck.
very good point. i had to do it to mine from lowering it so much

redfishsc

Reaction score

This is news to me, I will have to look this up some more. This truck (the gold one with news wheels) definitely is a 4wd.

redfishsc

Reaction score
Yack! I pulled the fan blower out under the glove box in the K 1500 to clean the evaporator core. Man that thing was nasty. This was a dirtiest evaporator I've ever seen on these things, I'm shocked there was any air at all moving through it.

I also hooked up the manifold gauges to the AC system, and not surprisingly I found 0 psi in it.

I would really like to try to get this AC system working but I really don't know the condition of the rest of the parts in it.

I'm guessing it wouldn't be terribly hard to rip all the old stuff out, trash it, and just replace with new. Except for the evaporator core.

Open to suggestions here. This coastal South Carolina summer heat is going to make for a roastie summer if I can't get this AC going

shamrock246

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pressurize is and leak check it. If no leaks just charge it and see what happens.
+1 that's what i did with mine but used some of that leak check stuff with the green dye in it. If you get it running Unbolt the compressor and look underneath mine was leaking at the seam of the compressor and the flexable hose assembly.

shamrock246

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This gold K 1500 has a lot of clear coat fading and cracking on the hood, it looks great everywhere else. I have a quipment available to me that I can repaint it myself, I'm thinking of doing it cheap and going over it with just a satin black. Sherwin Williams All Surface Enamel I can get a quart for free, we use it at work, its quite tough.

What do you guys think? If I did the hood, should I do the grill and both bumpers as well?

Mine clear is doing the same thing over the last couple of years. Do you have to sand all the clear off before you can paint it or do you have to sand down to metal? I just call mine the anti glare finish and keep it waxed twice a year with the same wax i use on my boat.

redfishsc

Reaction score
If you are going "cheap ass redneck" like i would, use 320 grit on a DA sander to knock everything smooth but not necessarily always to bare metal.

I use Sherwin-Williams oil based All Surface Enamel. Two coats will do it.

Hower if you are going to be using true automotive urethane, you will want a better opinion than mine.