Twin Subs, 1999 K1500 and C1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jasons99hoe

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine clear is doing the same thing over the last couple of years. Do you have to sand all the clear off before you can paint it or do you have to sand down to metal? I just call mine the anti glare finish and keep it waxed twice a year with the same wax i use on my boat.
dont ever go to the metal unless you have too. just feather out any hard lines and edges and make sure its scuffed and VERY clean before paint. you will see all the dents and dings once you paint it.

shamrock246

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Does anybody know why the clear does this? the paint seems fine under it, I was thinking of rolling and tipping it i've done it a couple of times on boats if done right it can almost look like it was sprayed.

redfishsc

Tired of fixing lousy engineering.
Reaction score
My C 1500 master cylinder was getting kind of wishy-washy. I replaced it with a brand new one from O'Reilly. Flush the brakes with a gallon of new fluid.

That made the brakes worse than ever lol. I did bench bleed the master cylinder properly.

I'm out on a secluded road right now cycling the ABS a lot. It actually does seem to be helping.

EDIT: Well I did firm up the brake pedal a little more but I got the brake pads so roasting hot that they've faded into oblivion for now, so I can't really tell if I've put this thing into the realm of "about right".

I'll give her a drive in the morning, if the pedal isn't firmed up nicely, I'm going to have to take her to a service center so they can hook up their Gee-Whiz and do an automated bleed.

Last edited:

redfishsc

Reaction score
well no dice. I can tell the master cylinder is far better than the previous one, because when the truck is off, the pedal is nice and solid. Previously you could feel it leaking down, it would not build pressure and stay solid at all.

At least I know the master cylinder seems to be improved but even after cycling the ABS an enormous amount this afternoon, the pedal still has a lot of play in it. I'm going to take it to the local tire place and get the tires rotated, and just have them bleed it, because I know they have a scan tool that can purge the ABS.

What's interesting is that on my K 1500, the other truck of the exact same year, the brake pedal is rock solid even when it's running. The old master cylinder in that thing looks like it was installed by Moses. The one I just took off of my C1500 didn't look all that old, but I knew for sure that it was leaking internally.

redfishsc

Reaction score
Alright, $80 later and they bled the ABS with their scan tool, they did pull a lot of air out of the rear brakes they said, now the brake pedal feels way more firm.

What's interesting is that the brakes are not as grabby as they used to be. Previously, you would have an enormous amount of pedal travel before they would start to grab, but it really wasn't all that hard to lock the brakes up.

Now, they're a lot more firm feeling, very little pedal travel, but not nearly as easy to lock up as they were previously.