Twin Subs, 1999 K1500 and C1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

redfishsc

Tired of fixing lousy engineering.
Reaction score
Dark pewter gray color one we've had for about 3 years. This is the RWD. Swapped the rear gear ratio to a 4:10 a couple years ago, and put it in Eaton Truetrac posi in it. Tires are Cooper Discoverer RTX 31 x 10.5. Fantastic tires for these trucks.

I know this truck like the back of my hand at this point. I've had to replace the alternator twice, water pump twice, intake gasket, rear U joints, had to rebuild the entire rear end due to shot bearings.

Don't buy alternators or water pumps from Autozone.

The gold one is a K1500 4WD,
just pick this one up a month ago. Got it from a very generous friend of mine, but it did need a new head gasket. Swapped the head gasket, new alternator, new power steering pump, new front U joints, new sway bar links, upgraded to mfi spider, and it runs like a champ.

Still got a lot to learn about this truck, I can hear some noise in the engine bay but I think it's pulleys.

It looks like the front torsion keys are cranked all the way up, the front looks taller than the rear. Not sure I like that.

You must be registered for see images attach

redfishsc

Reaction score
Had some trouble bleeding the brakes on the K1500, got a thread about that going on. But to my horror I discovered that the master cylinder reservoir had a fluid bottle cap seal (nickel sized paper disc) sitting in the bottom. I found it with a turkey baster removing the old fluid. Damn whomever had this truck before my buddy bought it from the impound lot was a bloody damned idiot. They also beat the ever-loving hell out of the front yoke swapping the U-joint. Same dumbass put a brand new radiator in it then filled it with head gasket stop leak. Now I discovered that my rear heater core is plugged up. At least the front is ok

Also discovered that the rear diff had been leaking, the bottom is caked in sludge. It took a quart to top it off. I'll pull the cover and clean it up once we thaw out.

redfishsc

Reaction score
Well my squeaky water pump on my 99 K1500 Sub became a leaky water pump today so guess what I'm doing tonight in the dark in 30 degree weather.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
About your suspected front crank, the ***** notoriously sag on those trucks. 2wd had more of a factory rake, so over time if it sags it will settle closer to level than the 4wd.

redfishsc

Reaction score
Interestingly my 2wd sits with more of a rake than the 4wd, I suspect the 4wd has done a LOT more towing than my 2wd. I know for sure the 2wd hasn't towed much except a 3500lb camper in the last 100k miles

redfishsc

Reaction score
New tires and wheels for my K1500 Sub showing up tomorrow. Giving Discount Tire Direct a shot, got some nice wheels and 265/75 R16 Cooper Discoverer AT3s arriving. Staying with 16" wheels, but 8.5" width and - 6mm offset.