truck starting problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jcloud

BaLlIn On A BuDgEt
Reaction score
Ok guys I went out to my truck this morning and it started but right after it cranked over it died, so I tried starting it again and after it cranked over it died once again...then I pumped my gas pedal 3 times and tried to start it and it started...then I drove it and turned it off and then tried to start my truck again right after I turned it off and it started up fine..any suggestions on what the problem could be? Oh ya I forgot to mention that it did it to my last summer(2010) and has started fine up until today...

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you're fuel system may be losing prime. Possibly a sticking poppet, FPR, or pump on its way out. Cycling the key is likely what is causing it to start, not pumping the pedal. Pumping the pedal is mostly a vestige of the days when you had to give the motor a couple of "pump shots" from the carb to start, or when you would mat the pedal to clear a flooded motor. Matting the pedal will put some fuel injection systems (not sure about the Vortecs) into a "clear flood" mode, but on many pumping/matting the pedal does absolutely nothing. I would lean toward an intermittently sticking poppet if it runs well otherwise. Look around at a few of the other threads, I've posted some fuel system test procedures to help you narrow it down, if indeed it is losing pressure and prime. If the fuel system is fine, it's possibly a sticking/dirty IAC, but that should throw a code. Good luck!

jcloud

BaLlIn On A BuDgEt
Reaction score
Hmm idk i take a look..but other wise the truck is running good..so idk what it is..maybe dirty fuel tank or injectors.