Tristan's 1994 z71 build thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98chevyz71

RESIDENT CHOP GUY
Reaction score
If you're looking to turn 39s and actually use the truck as intended (which you obviously do) you're going to be better off starting to collect parts for a SAS than spending time and money buying and installing a body lift only to run those tires on stock 1/2 ton suspension and steering.

Never mind the added stress just from turning the larger tires, but the suspension geometry of our IFS is only designed for ~30" tires and there's really no way to change that. It means whenever the suspension cycles, a lot of force is being applied to the ball joints that they weren't intended to handle. It's worse on high traction surfaces and the less sidewall you have.

I know you're on a budget, I just think you'd be a lot happier in the long run with a solid axle.

he wants 37's im not sure if that makes a difference though

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
If you're looking to turn 39s and actually use the truck as intended (which you obviously do) you're going to be better off starting to collect parts for a SAS than spending time and money buying and installing a body lift only to run those tires on stock 1/2 ton suspension and steering.

Never mind the added stress just from turning the larger tires, but the suspension geometry of our IFS is only designed for ~30" tires and there's really no way to change that. It means whenever the suspension cycles, a lot of force is being applied to the ball joints that they weren't intended to handle. It's worse on high traction surfaces and the less sidewall you have.

I know you're on a budget, I just think you'd be a lot happier in the long run with a solid axle.

Agreed thats why i think ima skip the sas

Solid94

Chevy Ridin' High
Reaction score
We just went the opposite with my girls truck. Yanked the 37s and 3" BL for 35s and 4.56 gears. Truck is a lot happier and hopefully won't go through parts as fast. SAS is the way to go and it can be done on a budget.

Truck still looks good tho bro!

Justjoshiny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
We just went the opposite with my girls truck. Yanked the 37s and 3" BL for 35s and 4.56 gears. Truck is a lot happier and hopefully won't go through parts as fast. SAS is the way to go and it can be done on a budget.

Be sure to budget out more than you think you need for an SAS though!

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score

Wow sounds like u got an awesome girl lol somone needs to make a list of every part needed for SAS

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
I hope he does because i have a feeling ima end up doing it sooner rather than later