Towing a stuck vehicle?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

McMuscle3

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a curious question for you all, If a vehicle is stuck in the snow or whatever is it better to tow facing the other vehicle (pull in reverse) or pulling away forward? I have seen it both ways, I was wondering if there was an advantage to one or the other?

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well it's my understanding that 1st gear is geared lower than reverse is, so you'd have more torque pulling in 1st.

95Escahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had to pull my buddy's stang out of the snow once my tow hooks are on the front so threw it in low and reverese and pulled it out with no issues

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
I usually pull forward because I have the reese hitch.

Also be careful who you pulling out, some people put the pedal to the floor when they are getting pulled out, all it would take is a little traction and boom, you have been hit.

If you pull a stranger out and you damage their vehicle, they can sue.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
I usually pull forward because I have the reese hitch.

Also be careful who you pulling out, some people put the pedal to the floor when they are getting pulled out, all it would take is a little traction and boom, you have been hit.

If you pull a stranger out and you damage their vehicle, they can sue.

Another good point about pulling others out. I also like pulling from the front because I have great crossmember with shackles mounted to it. Also another good point to remember is pull with proper gear (strap, not chain), use minimal hardware and d-rings/shackles are better than open hooks or a hitch ball.

Another tip, if you have a receiver hitch you can always insert the strap into it and use the hitch pin to secure it.

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
Another tip, if you have a receiver hitch you can always insert the strap into it and use the hitch pin to secure it.

This is 100% truth, best way to use a tow strap, as long as you have a good one made of nylon and the stitches on the loop of the strap are good.

Kyle97GMC

NO SIR IT'S NOT A CHEVY.
Reaction score
I always pull facing away from the vehicle but sometimes it takes a little more to get the job done and I don't like high reving in reverse. That's just how I have done it since I started four wheeling but I did bend my hitch one time pulling out a duramax that was buried frame deep in mud and I didn't even know the guy but he bought me a new hitch so it was cool haha:3811797817_8d685371