Tire Size ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eric1998

Reaction score
Heyyy!

I have a 98 1500 obs ex/cab with a 4/6 drop. I was thinking abt going with 16x8 wheels, what is the tallest tire size can I go with that won't give me rubbing issues?

Thanks guys!

Mrbrown510

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well there isnt alot of options on 16 inch rims.a 4/6 calls for a 27 inch tire to 28 inch max diameter.tallest one available that is 28 inch n fit ur size n drop is 235/65r16

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Well there isnt alot of options on 16 inch rims.a 4/6 calls for a 27 inch tire to 28 inch max diameter.tallest one available that is 28 inch n fit ur size n drop is 235/65r16
No disrespect intended, but for someone that constantly asks tire size/wheel size questions you should probably refrain from answering with such firm statements until you learn more.

Tire size depends on a LOT of factors and your statement that a 28" tire is max on a 4/6 drop is way off. On a 20x8.5 wheel I've ran a 29" tire (255/45/20) with zero issues and that was with a 5/7 drop! Fender lip rolled and 5.5" backspacing. No problems turning, no issues at all, very slight wheelwell rub on really hard dips.

Some simple looking through tire size charts will get you specs on various sizes, but they must be taken into consideration with the wheel that is going to be used. Tire size has to follow the wheel specs, or the wheel spec has to follow the tire size. They aren't standalone items...has to be a package to achieve the desired results.

Richard

Mrbrown510

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Um ok? Like u said the is a slight rub at 29 inch tire diameter.everyone on here seems to run 28 inch diameter max withoit any problems not many run over that which is why i said that. But if i stand corrected then he could run 255/65r16 for a 29 inch diameter tire.

Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Slight fender well rub on really hard dips. I drove my truck like it was a Corvette, OK? So in sense of full disclosure, if I hit a dip in the highway hugging a 25mph exit curve at 75mph then I'm gonna be honest and tell you there was a rub mark in the wheelwell.

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Slight fender well rub on really hard dips. I drove my truck like it was a Corvette, OK? So in sense of full disclosure, if I hit a dip in the highway hugging a 25mph exit curve at 75mph then I'm gonna be honest and tell you there was a rub mark in the wheelwell.

Richard
I loved that truck...

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I loved that truck...
That truck was awesome. Loved taking it from a stock one-owner C2500LD and turning it into what it became. I do kinda regret selling it after all those years but it was time...I wanted more power and was seriously considering an LQ9 swap but just don't have the time to devote to that big of a project. I looked into it enough that I was ready to go rent shop space to get it done since my garage at home is too small, but the reality is just that I don't have the time, regardless. So I said F it and bought a truck that comes with the LQ9 stock. :D It feels weird riding at stock height though, was gonna lower it, but then bought some 22" Centerlines that the offset is just not quite right for a good drop, so I said F that too. 22x9's with 4.5" or 5" or whatever of backspacing (memory fuzzy), mixed with 285/45/22's, doesn't exactly go with slammed...

Richard