Tie rod replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How do I replace the inner and outer ends?

galaxy s3

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
count the number of turns it takes to get it out of the sleeve and install the new ones with the same # of turns and then bolt 'em up

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
Take the nuts off the inner rods that attach to the center link and tap the top of it with a hammer (it's tapered). Do the same on the spindle side. You may need a pickle fork in between the spindle/tie rod end and on the center link/tie rod if it's really in there.

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
count the number of turns it takes to get it out of the sleeve and install the new ones with the same # of turns and then bolt 'em up

That will probably work just fine. I always count the number of threads. Measure the new ones first and make sure that they are the same length as the old. I had to cut both my inner and outer rods because they were too long to fit in the sleeve. After you're done make sure to get it aligned.

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
That will probably work just fine. I always count the number of threads. Measure the new ones first and make sure that they are the same length as the old. I had to cut both my inner and outer rods because they were too long to fit in the sleeve. After you're done make sure to get it aligned.

I never had a problem with mine. and I did count the threads but counted turns just to make sure.

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
You could also spend the extra few bucks on a new sleeve, assemble the tie rods to the same length as the old set up.

benz88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I take a digital Caliper and measure from the outside of the sleeve to the center of the outer tie rod bolt. Take it out and put the new one in to the exact mm and boom perfect alignment. No need to spend $90 on one.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
If you live anywhere in the rust belt, buy new inner and outer tie rod ends and a new sleeve.

Buy a fork, pop both nuts off and pop the tapers.

Assemble the new parts as close to the originals length as possible, bolt it back together and then drive directly to an alignment shop.