Thinking GMT400 3500 Dually for Track Day Towing, Thoughts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hey all,

I've been looking into a car hauler for track day duties and I've been finding GMT400 454 3500 trucks with 120-160k miles in generally clean shape all over facebook marketplace at the $6500-$8500 range. I'm a little wary since the 3500s usually are cheaper than 1500s and 2500s are pretty rare. A lot of these are old farm trucks from what I can tell. I don't mind the ride quality or old truck issues, my daily driver is an '88 Land Cruiser.

To start, I'm looking at towing a street weight 2008 M3 coupe, about 3800lb + the uhaul car hauler that brings the load up to around mid 6k lbs. This is half ton territory for sure, but if I can get a lower mileage, cleaner 3500 for cheaper than a 1500, I don't see why it could hurt to have too much truck to start. I'd like to jump up to an enclosed trailer eventually as well, with potential for a slide in camper.

Is there any gotchas for these 3500s as to why they might be less expensive and seemingly in better shape than the 1500-2500 SRW trucks?

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/280073804890277/

These move somewhat quick on the market, but this red one is the one that got me looking into it.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/791186672887057/

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/938692160997985/

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a C1500 that I use for light-duty towing. When I got the opportunity to pick up a C3500 for free, I jumped on it. Having towed an E36 BMW and tool chest on an open deck trailer with a GMT900 Suburban loaded down with tools, I want the larger truck.

The peanut-port 454 TBI in the GMT400s is generally considered to have the worst heads ever put on a big block. Upgrading to good heads is expensive. My '88 C3500 came with a 454, but I'll be putting a 350 in it when it goes back together. Supposedly the later 8.1L is far better, but it has a lot of bespoke parts that keep it from interchanging well.

The other thing to consider is that the heavier duty trucks have significantly better brakes.

CarolinaOBS

ZIP TIES AND PB BLASTER
Reaction score
I have a C1500 that I use for light-duty towing. When I got the opportunity to pick up a C3500 for free, I jumped on it. Having towed an E36 BMW and tool chest on an open deck trailer with a GMT900 Suburban loaded down with tools, I want the larger truck.

The peanut-port 454 TBI in the GMT400s is generally considered to have the worst heads ever put on a big block. Upgrading to good heads is expensive. My '88 C3500 came with a 454, but I'll be putting a 350 in it when it goes back together. Supposedly the later 8.1L is far better, but it has a lot of bespoke parts that keep it from interchanging well.

The other thing to consider is that the heavier duty trucks have significantly better brakes.
If you get a 96-2000 with the “vortec” 7.4 it is light years better than the tbi. Tons of low end grunt. I think the late model ones have oval port heads.

tpass

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think they are cheaper because most people generally don't regard them the same as a "regular" pickups, and most businesses don't want older work trucks in their fleet. They are great for towing.

After looking at your links, that behemoth 4 door dually, towing a trailer will probably be as long as a tractor-trailer, lol.

my 3500 HD (159" WB) requires "planning" when parking.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I think they are cheaper because most people generally don't regard them the same as a "regular" pickups, and most businesses don't want older work trucks in their fleet. They are great for towing.

After looking at your links, that behemoth 4 door dually, towing a trailer will probably be as long as a tractor-trailer, lol.

That makes a lot of sense, I could see your average home owner skipping out due to that. Thankfully the paddocks I'm headed towards are designed with full size race car haulers in mind haha.

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would personally go to a 2008-2012 gmc 2500 HD with the 6.0 and 6 speed auto. They aren’t hard to find for a good price and they have a better frame, disk brakes all around, and they tow great. I just did long tube headers and true dual 3” exhaust, a mild cam and a good tune. It pulls anything I want without an issue. No leaks from the 6.0 L-96 and it sounds great.

Reaction score
I would personally go to a 2008-2012 gmc 2500 HD with the 6.0 and 6 speed auto. They aren’t hard to find for a good price and they have a better frame, disk brakes all around, and they tow great. I just did long tube headers and true dual 3” exhaust, a mild cam and a good tune. It pulls anything I want without an issue. No leaks from the 6.0 L-96 and it sounds great.
I'll add those to my search list, I had browsed this bracket before and found a lot that were listed for too much with 300k+ miles. Likely due to the fact that these are highly favored by contractors. A SRW 2500 would be easier to live with for sure and it has the upgraded brakes I'd want too.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score

My C3500 CCLB requires "planning" and prefers pull through spaces...168.5" WB. Even though it's"only " a 5.7 it hauls pretty well when we need it to. Going to be doing that later this week.... I'm figuring 10K# with truck, trailer and us.