THE ULTIMATE GMT400 STORY

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

350VortecSSCT

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let's begin with I have a 1998, TWO DOOR TAHOE, Iron Head Vortec Motor 5.7l 350. had 170k on it. Lower Intake Manifold Gasket was leaking oil, coolant was building up at the top (rust/brown)

So...I decided rather than doing it myself I bring it to a dealership because its done RIGHT, pricey but its WARRANTY.

I bring it to them I get the truck back same day! Alright not bad...I get there, and two mechanics have a telescopic camera in the spark plug holes of the motor, "looking at my carbon build up and set timing"

Dealer comes to give me test drives in the New Camaro SS and Corvette...AMAZINGGGG 90+MPH

SO THE SERVICE MANAGER comes to see me and tells me that there is a problem, I chuckled and asked WHAT YOU DROPPED A BOLT DOWN THE MANIFOLD? jokingly because amateurs never cover up the distributor and intake manifold holes...well guess what DEALERSHIP DROPPED BOLT DOWN MANIFOLD

THREE DAYS LATER...I get the truck back. they pulled BOTH HEADS. I now have a tick from the motor and its eating coolant.

I drive it, its sputtering sluggish dog crap. I bring it back to them and told them I want it back to what it was.
They pulled both heads and were sent to a shop

I go to the shop in my FREE RENTAL. to find CRACKS IN THE DRIVERSIDE HEAD IN THREE PLACES...therefore explaining the coolant being eatened up

Machine Shop manager told me the heads have been worked on before...and this guy originally worked for the dealership...so there in his back pocket.

I told them, the motor has NEVER been touched which is true, and the heads were pulled at some point because someone used AN ELECTRIC DA TO SAND THEM DOWN.

I told them the heads were pulled last week when they dropped a bolt down the manifold and he said, well it looks like someone did. I asked him Howd you know?

REMINDING YOU THEY TOLD ME THEY NEVER NEVER NEVER STARTED, STATED IN BILL OF SALE AND RECEIPT

SO>...i drive up the dealership flying in and popped the hood AS THEY CAME RUNNING OUT TO STOP ME, AND WHAT DO I FIND???

PISTON NUMBER FIVE HAD BOLT MARKS AND CRACKS, AND THE BLOCK OF THE MOTOR HAD BEEN SMASHED AND CRACKED FROM THE BOLT...ALL BECAUSE THEY STARTED MY TRUCK AFTER PUTTING IT BACK TOGETHER

THEREFORE EXPLAINING HOW THEY FOUND THE LOOSE BOLT

THIS CHEVROLET DEALERSHIP, WANTED TO REPLACE PARTS...I THEREFORE THREW A FIT, CUSTOMERS, DEALERS, BOSSES AND SERVICEMEN ALL THERE, SCREAMING THREATENING TO SHUT THE PLACE DOWN, PULL THE LICENSES FROM DMV AUTHORITY AND STATE (BECAUSE I CAN) AND WANTED A BRAND NEW MOTOR

I THEREFORE NEXT, INVOLVED OTHER COMPETING GM DEALERSHIPS MY FRIENDS WORK AT AND CREATED WAR TO HAVE THEM TAKE MY TRUCK AND DO IT FOR THEM

NEXT AND FINAL STEP: I ALERTED THE NORTHEAT GM REGIONAL MANAGER, A CLOSE FRIEND, TO FIX THE PROBLEM OR THEY WOULD BE ONE DEALERSHIP LESS IN CONNECTICUT

I ENDED UP WITH A BRAND NEW CRATE LS1 5.7 350, BRAND NEW EVERYTHING...
WATER PUMP
HEADERS (GIBSON)
FLYWHEEL
OIL AND TRANS LINES
COOLER LINES

THIS 14 YEAR OLD TRUCK, WAS COVERED BY A GM WARRANTY WITH A BRAND NEW MOTOR AND PARTS AT NO COST

SO REMEMBER, DEALERSHIPS DO COME IN HANDY

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Dumbasses are everywhere. Even at accredited establishments. Biggest mistake on their part was not admitting fault! That's what balls are for! They obviously don't have any.

bow61509

GMT400 Thug Life!!
Reaction score
eh I don't buy it... I'm not trying to be THAT guy, but let's be real. how many dealerships are going to replace the motor in a 14 year old truck with an ls1, and change everything needed to make the swap work? replace the 350 due to them tearing it up.... sure but not an ls1 swap. as the saying goes.... pics or it didn't happen.

Sent from my static android

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
eh I don't buy it... I'm not trying to be THAT guy, but let's be real. how many dealerships are going to replace the motor in a 14 year old truck with an ls1, and change everything needed to make the swap work? replace the 350 due to them tearing it up.... sure but not an ls1 swap. as the saying goes.... pics or it didn't happen.

Sent from my static android

I agree, but I would be willing to bet they just put a, new GM l31 in it, but I'm skeptical about even that...