The Stupid Electronics Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Crytone

Reaction score
Curious if anyone has any insight on exactly how the ashtray light works in these trucks (an 88 C1500 to be exact). Mine isn't working.

I checked the bulb and it seems fine but just want to make sure I wasn't doing things wrong before I start testing the circuit. So I guess, how does the circuit get active? Only when it's opened, truck running/not, etcetera...?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Not sure about the older trucks, but in the 95+ interiors I believe the bulb is always on as long as your headlights are switched on. You just don't notice it if the ashtray is closed.

Tiny Trucker

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah I just gave it another try and it operated exactly as you described. I have had it twice while driving where i have gone to single wipe the screen and it has wiped about 6 times and then stopped mid wipe.

My washer/squirter doesn't work though, has water but I can't hear the motor so thats another issue all together haha

Looks like something is seriously up with my wipers. It rained today (summer here) and my wipers have a mind of their own. I tried to put them on Intermittent/delay and worked for a bit and then wiped liked they were on High. I try to wipe once and it goes nuts and stops halfway across the windscreen. I tried turning it off and it kept going?? It is meant to rain tomorrow so I am not looking forward to it.

Can anyone recommend what I should be looking at first? Wiper stalk? Wiper motor? Cheers.

The Arctic Fox

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had the same exact problem. I went to the junkyard pulled a newer style wiper motor (had the old style motor in my 89) and swapped it out. Works like it should now.

Tiny Trucker

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The problem is the wiper board on the motor, I resoldered the bad connection on mine. Pretty common issue.

Cheers guys. I did a little search (probably should have done that first) and yeah wiper board seems like the most common culprit, followed by ground wires and then if all else fails, wiper stalk. Will try solder it this weekend as we don't have many parts for GMTs over here, otherwise order one from Summit.

Thanks again.

Tiny Trucker

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Resoldered all the joints on the back of the wiper circuit board and everything seems to be working great now, does exactly as the wiper stalk says and also my washer is working now. No better gratitude than fixing something yourself and saving $ for more important purchases.:boti:

Tiny Trucker

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok dumb question time again :Big Laugh:

Do these trucks have a hi beam flash? i.e, pull back on wiper stalk and head lights turn on temporarily? I got low beam, and hi beam, (when the lights are on) but when i want to warn on coming traffic I assumed I would be able to pull back the stalk to flash my lights. But I get no flash, no blue light, no relay click etc

Cheers

Tiny Trucker

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. So used to jappers, so this is a bit alien to me (but I am loving every minute of owning it!) :driver: