The Stupid Electronics Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
amp will be placed under the rear seat. haven't decided on driver/passenger side yet, though.

Run whatever wire you have handy to your mounting position, then measure that. I usually use a spool of speaker wire, because I always have that handy, but if that doesn't work, try rope, or even yarn. You don't have to bury it the way you would the cable, but make your best approximation and add a couple feet, you'll need that extra couple feet when you run your ground anyway (just wrap the ground black so you know it isn't live).

Jeff7

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You could always wait until you have the boys over for poker night and move the bed instead of dropping the tank. It's faster, if you have more muscle than you do time. Otherwise you may have to go to the old washer on a string trick to get your fuel level...

Yea it's not a big deal, it hasn't been reliable enough in like 5 years so I'm used to just using the trip meter. Just an excuse to be in the garage and have something to fix haha.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yea it's not a big deal, it hasn't been reliable enough in like 5 years so I'm used to just using the trip meter. Just an excuse to be in the garage and have something to fix haha.

You're more patient than I am, that's the kind of thing that would piss me off. I honestly don't know of a test for that, I usually just assume it's the sending unit if the needle isn't pegged one way or the other. I haven't heard of another reason for those symptoms, but keep in mind that I'm only 27 and most of my experience with these trucks comes from when I was a kid working on my mom's old truck (10+ years ago). I also don't make money fixing cars, just saving money by not paying a mechanic to do what I can do myself.

Jeff7

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You're more patient than I am, that's the kind of thing that would piss me off. I honestly don't know of a test for that, I usually just assume it's the sending unit if the needle isn't pegged one way or the other. I haven't heard of another reason for those symptoms, but keep in mind that I'm only 27 and most of my experience with these trucks comes from when I was a kid working on my mom's old truck (10+ years ago). I also don't make money fixing cars, just saving money by not paying a mechanic to do what I can do myself.

Same as me man, I'm 25 and hate paying shop rates haha. The thing is its mostly stuck on full but not always. Stopped working when I was going to school and didn't have time/resources to fix it (had to park it 8 months of the year at my uncles acerage because I couldn't afford it). Starting to fix all the little things now that I have a goodifferent 3 month break in training.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Same as me man, I'm 25 and hate paying shop rates haha. The thing is its mostly stuck on full but not always. Stopped working when I was going to school and didn't have time/resources to fix it (had to park it 8 months of the year at my uncles acerage because I couldn't afford it). Starting to fix all the little things now that I have a goodifferent 3 month break in training.

If you have the extra $70 laying around, I'd just get the sending unit shipped. If it turns out that isn't the problem, return it, and you're out nothing.

__CHI__

Low Life
Reaction score
anyone know where to find a shallow 12in speaker box that'll fit behind my seat or in between them? Looking at some new Rockford's to replace my super old cerwin vega stealth series and I really want some thumpage lol. If they don't make a box like I'm wanting,does anyone have pictures of custom made boxes? Just trying to get some ideas

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
anyone know where to find a shallow 12in speaker box that'll fit behind my seat or in between them? Looking at some new Rockford's to replace my super old cerwin vega stealth series and I really want some thumpage lol. If they don't make a box like I'm wanting,does anyone have pictures of custom made boxes? Just trying to get some ideas

Spendy, but I can verify that this thing will work if you're willing to give up one click of adjustment on your seat bottoms and remove the factory jack box and storage compartment.

https://www.supercrewsound.com/ChevyStddual.html

skobuffs

Reaction score
Stupid question, and possibly not even in the right place, but here goes. '98 Chevy K1500, silverado trim, Z71 package. It has the seperate CD player below the heater controls. Said CD player worked in July before I did the engine swap. It doesn't work now. it will take a Cd, and you can hear it spin, but it doesn't read. It just throws up an error message on the radio and spits it out. Any one have any ideas what may cause this?
Thanks.

For as cheap as radios go for, you might as well throw in an NBS or blazer head unit with the built in cd player, and replace the slave unit with a pocket

barimpact3

Reaction score
I have a 95 K2500 Silverado with the 6.5 Turbo. Question one, sometimes my wipers work and sometimes they don't. If they don't work when I turn the truck on, they won't work the whole time, but if they work when I turn it on, they'll work until I shut it off again, then it's all up in the air whether it'll work again.
Second question, sometimes the starter doesn't kick on when I turn the key. All the lights come on, the glow plugs run their cycle, and when I turn the key forward there's a single click and nothing more. If I release it and try a few more times, it will usually kick on and start the truck. Any ideas? Any suggestions are appreciated

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Blue Turd

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The wipers are usually repaired by taking out the unit and reflowing the solder joints, as they fatigue and break over time.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media