Tailgate Hinge/Pivot point replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98WhiteZ71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The passenger side hinge or pivot point (don't know the proper name) is shot and cause the tailgate to sag to the passenger side when its closed and makes it hard to open and close. I believe I have found the part that I need

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cd/full.aspx?Page=21

Item 22 in the diagram
Part numbers
- 39-6618
- 39-6619

How do you replace the hinge? as in how do you get the tailgate out I guess is my question.

jkeaton

It’s been real
Reaction score
The opposite side of the tailgate can be lifted up and out of the "hinge". If you lower your tailgate and look at the right side, you will see the same part as #22, but it has a slot cut in it to allow lifting off the pin (#18 in the pic).

98WhiteZ71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The opposite side of the tailgate can be lifted up and out of the "hinge". If you lower your tailgate and look at the right side, you will see the same part as #22, but it has a slot cut in it to allow lifting off the pin (#18 in the pic).

Awesome thank you that is what I was looking for. Probably just going to replace both pins and hinges at the same time then.

jkeaton

It’s been real
Reaction score
No problem. Glad I could help. Make sure you have someone help you when you go to take it off, it is a bit on the heavy side and kinda unwieldy.