Subwoofer placement issue. Extended cab.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jarede525

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The last ecsb I tried an underseat enclosure on was a 99 ecsb(classic interior) and the largest we could squeeze with 1/2" mdf sealed was 1.8(usable volume), and that was downfiring(with just enough space to not tap on xmax of an fi btl 12) and also pushing against the bottom of seat just enough that you had to bounce on the seat to get it to lock. Now this box was recessed about an inch from front of seat so as to not encourage swinging feet or digging of heels....I'd really like to see a side-view sketch of your design to see how close you are to front of seat, labeled with angles and measurements. 2.6 sounds like you're using thin mdf.

Honestly it's probably not accurate. I was pretty much eye-balling it. I don't plan on actually drawing it up accurately until I can take the jack and everything out whenever I get my toolbox, Which I get for my birthday on the 20th!! :evillol:

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Ah ok, I took it to mean you were already stripped of all stuff in the way and had made up a blueprint of the underside of seat. Like the "blue midget with white booties & hat with a civic" said, I wish you luck with whatever you decide to go with. If ya need any help with figures or whatever, just ask.

smurfcivic

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Like the "blue midget with white booties & hat with a civic" said, I wish you luck with whatever you decide to go with. If ya need any help with figures or whatever, just ask.
lmao thats a first. Think i got a new sig.

jarede525

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think I'm going to sell my 2 12"s, along with the boxes I have, and buy me a 10" kicker L3. and build a ported box to put under the seat. It only take a min. of 1.25 cu. ft. for a ported!

Mysilvi

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Why would you need a 4 channel amp to run 2 10s ??

there is a link on my signature that explains this stuff ... Sound Quality thread ...
I dont have any pics of it installed....YET but I need a 4ch amp for the subs and the front speakers as well..Just want to run 1amp and not like 3.

Cablguy184

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I dont have any pics of it installed....YET but I need a 4ch amp for the subs and the front speakers as well..Just want to run 1amp and not like 3.
Just my suggestion here ...
You would have better luck with a 2 chanel amp for front speakers and a single channel mono block amp for the subs ...
I've seen power supplys in amps burn up by being overworked by working the front (uses alot of power) and runnning subs on the other side (draws alot of current) ...
Just don't want to see your truck catch on fire ...
again, just my suggestion ...

Mysilvi

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just my suggestion here ...
You would have better luck with a 2 chanel amp for front speakers and a single channel mono block amp for the subs ...
I've seen power supplys in amps burn up by being overworked by working the front (uses alot of power) and runnning subs on the other side (draws alot of current) ...
Just don't want to see your truck catch on fire ...
again, just my suggestion ...
This is most likely the setup I will run and cheaper to boot. I plan on doing alot of work when the weather gets a little warmer out so just getting all supplies now for a one shot tear down and set up..

93Lee

Reaction score
Use a down fire box and have it sealed. Trust me no matter what kind of music you listen to, they will sound awesome as long as you use a good amp. It does not muffle the sound at all. I have used down fire boxes in all my vehicles and that is the best way to go IMO. I've used them in Jeeps, both wrangler and cherokee, suburbans, ext cab and single cab trucks and trunks of cars. You will not be disappointed. Plus by using a ported box in an ext cab, you will have to make the box bigger and you will lose a lot of leg room. Just my .02