Subwoofer placement issue. Extended cab.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bwchevyguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Down-firing systems don't sound muffled. I think you'll be surprised at just how much more powerful the bass feel in a sealed down-firing setup than a cookie cutter ported box sitting in the back seat.

Agreed.

jarede525

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So your looking at 3.5^3 of air volume at the very minimum, then you have to subtract your port displacement. 1.75^3 is figured with the driver displacement already. Anyways, your looking at a pretty large enclose that will take up most all of the leg room in the back seat.

How much will it handicap the subs if there isn't that much air volume?

Downfiring enclosures sound great when playing music, and get fairly loud ... but if your are looking for any competition SPL numbers, They will do you no good ...
There is jout not enought airspace under the rear seats to do 12" subs any justice ... they may fit, and look good, but thats about it ...
Most people use 8s or 10s in downfiring enclosures ...
This is what makes a downfiring enclosure work so well in playing music ... it memics a home theatre enclosure in vibrating the surounding area, basically pounding the vehicle ... the port just gives it tuning life ...
So the mainly depends here on what you really want out of your system ... going under the seat will sound better for music, but kill your SPL numbers ...
any of this make any sense ???

I definitely don't have a competition truck. Since angling the subs upwards would take a lot of air volume out of the question, which would be a better placement? Upfiring or downfiring? Just overall. I don't really want to make the whole seat a shaking mess, but if that would be better than ratttling the whole truck, then I'm all for it!

Cablguy184

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How much will it handicap the subs if there isn't that much air volume?
simply put ... 12" subs will not be good for your truck unless you take out your rear seat or cut your back wall ...
honnestly, you do not have enough airspace ... upfiring or downfiring ...

trust me, I compete with one of these trucks ... Sound Quality and SPL ... We've tried alot of different options ...

I definitely don't have a competition truck. Since angling the subs upwards would take a lot of air volume out of the question, which would be a better placement? Upfiring or downfiring? Just overall. I don't really want to make the whole seat a shaking mess, but if that would be better than ratttling the whole truck, then I'm all for it!
any time you add high power subs to your truck, you're gonna shake and rattle something ... you just haven't noticed this yet with the coushioned enclosure laying on your rear seat ...

If you sell your 12s and go with 10s ... I can help you out ALOT further ... If you decide to keep your 12s, a prefab enclosure may work for you, depending on how you like your music ...
but I'm not betting on it ...

on a side note ... If you buy a fiberglass bed cover (i just happen to have one for sale) and decide to cut your back wall and install your sub enclosure in the bed of the truck ...
the possiblities are endless !!!

Cablguy184

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
with a custom built enclosure, you have plenty of room for 2 10s ... just remove and relocate your spare tire jack assembly ...

edit : this will be a little difficult if you have the 3rd door ... but can be done ...

Shane_o_mac

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have two he2 10s in a downfiring prefab box it was good for a bit but now I'm wanting more! They were in a standard wedge style box from first truck they personally I liked how they sounded firing up. One thing to watch I've noticed too is with the pre-fabed box is the surround from the sub was rubbing the carpet on the humps in the back.

You will be able to get a little bit more room under the back seat by lifting it. People have used square tubing to raise up like 3". Now I'm wanting to get three sa-8"s ported up firing not sure how that would work tho, so I'm thinkin they may need to be front firing.....

Last edited:

Cablguy184

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
you have to sit in a set up truck to hear the difference ... there is no difference in upfiring or downfiring when built correctly ...
the port tuning and port exhaust direction will be the main factors if you go ported ... most I've seen are sealed ...

You can stand 8s up (depending on the sub) ... just make sure to install good protective grilles on them to protect them from being kicked to death ... very common in those style enclosures ...

Shane_o_mac

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yea I'm pretty sure the 8s would stand up just fine my 5yr old son is the only one back there mostly so i would need to be protecting them for sure. I have to clue when it comes to ported boxes tho. i do know they need around 2-2.5 cu ft ported total so its not too far outta reach.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
A ported enclosure for 2x 12's will not fit under the rear seat....sealed enclosures for 2x 12's aren't even able to be built to spec most times....the closest you can get to meeting the average volume requirements of 12's is to run a sealed, and it will be bordering the low number(aka more punchy bass versus deep bass). A ported just will not fit without destroying your subs.

Mysilvi

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a custom ported 2-10s JL Audio box located under the back seat front fireing and yes you have to remove the little toolbox/ tire iron to make it fit. As for the sound It isnt connected yet because I need a 4channel amp.. ughhhh. I did hear it outside of the truck and was very nice sounding.