Subwoofer placement issue. Extended cab.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jarede525

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've got an extended cab with two kicker comps 12"s just sitting in my back seat. I've got em sitting in my backseat, strapped onto it with a ratchet strap. But now I have one usable seat back there.

I'm wanting to build a ported box to put them back there UNDER the seat. I know they make the single opening boxes for this kind of truck. But I have two. and it won't be too hard to make one. Just take some time and measurements.

Which is the best direction to have them facing? Down? Up towards the seat? Or straight out the front (if they can fit.) I can even do them at an angle facing upwards but not straight up. :hmm: But that takes away a lot of volume. I kind of think that facing them down would muffle a lot of the sound. And facing them up would make the back seat a giant muffled vibrator... :whymewhyme:

What do you guys think I should do?

I can get some hard, mesh covers to cover them if they face forwards to keep feet, and things from hitting them. That won't be a problem. Just need some suggestions!

jarede525

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The thing is, I don't know how much the sound is gonna be muffled if they're pointed down like that..
Plus I've always liked ported boxes. They just sound a whole lot better to me. It gives the air somewhere to go.

Do you know if it makes it much more quieter? I mean, I've literally got them sitting behind me about 4 inches from the back of my seat.. :Big Laugh:

///RAGMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have 1 10 sub in a premade box under the rear seat of my 99 silverado. The sub is facing down abd at its lowest point its about 1/2 from the floor and it sounds great and those boxes sound great and fit perfect

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had my 1 12" in my 94 like you have currently (right behind drivers seat) I personally have had no experience with the down-firing boxes

jarede525

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I might try and draw some stuff up this weekend about having them face the front windshield.
Kind of at an angle up and forward, while having them both port out the middle. That might look pretty good..
I'll see what I can figure out, and if all else fails I can look into spending $100 on yet another box.. I've had three already.

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Your going to want to build your own box, the pre-fab boxes tend to be made of low quality materials. And if you are wanting a ported enclosure, they are much pickier on being within the specs for optimal performance. Now if your wanting to run dual Kicker Comp 12's in a ported enclosure, your going to need a good bit of room to use under the back seat. Are you willing to loose most of the leg room in the back seat? If I recall correctly the comp 12's require about 1.75^3 of air volume minimum in a ported enclosure PER driver.

So your looking at 3.5^3 of air volume at the very minimum, then you have to subtract your port displacement. 1.75^3 is figured with the driver displacement already. Anyways, your looking at a pretty large enclose that will take up most all of the leg room in the back seat. As far as what direction to fire the woofer, it really comes down to what is the best way to utilize the space for two 12" subs. If you want to fire them forward (towards the front seats) your going to have to come up and sit flush with the top edge of the top of the bottom of the back seat. And your going to have to have a pretty steep angle on the front to allow for clearance. For space reasons, firing it upwards may be your best bet. You can always flip the seat up when you don't have passengers back there!

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Down-firing systems don't sound muffled. I think you'll be surprised at just how much more powerful the bass feel in a sealed down-firing setup than a cookie cutter ported box sitting in the back seat.

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
chris is right down-firing subs sound real good i have a set in our 99 silverado and the bass is unreal very tight sound

Cablguy184

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Building an enclosure whre the subs and ports face forwards sound really good ...
The main problem is the 12" drivers will not have enough room to fit under the seat standing up and will need to be angled in the rear floorboards ...
This will be defeating your purpose for getting your rear seats back because no one will have any legroom ...

Downfiring enclosures sound great when playing music, and get fairly loud ... but if your are looking for any competition SPL numbers, They will do you no good ...
There is jout not enought airspace under the rear seats to do 12" subs any justice ... they may fit, and look good, but thats about it ...
Most people use 8s or 10s in downfiring enclosures ...

If you are looking for high SPL numbers, best thing to do is remove your back seats and build a enclosure mounted to the floor ...

Apart from being a accident waiting to happen (straps or not) , you sub pressure is being muffled / coushioned by the seat ... completely defeating your purpose of having a sub enclosure in the first place ...
having a sub enclosure laying on a seat is a general bad idea in the first place ...

This is what makes a downfiring enclosure work so well in playing music ... it memics a home theatre enclosure in vibrating the surounding area, basically pounding the vehicle ... the port just gives it tuning life ...

So the mainly depends here on what you really want out of your system ... going under the seat will sound better for music, but kill your SPL numbers ...
any of this make any sense ???

Last edited: