Subwoofer placement issue. Extended cab.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shane_o_mac

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a custom ported 2-10s JL Audio box located under the back seat front fireing and yes you have to remove the little toolbox/ tire iron to make it fit. As for the sound It isnt connected yet because I need a 4channel amp.. ughhhh. I did hear it outside of the truck and was very nice sounding.

Got any pics??

jarede525

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Smurfcivic! Did you have the opening out the front? And I read somewhere about needing to have the right hz to tune the deepness or thumpiness of it. So what was the hz for that box? I want more of a deep bass, than thumpy. For sure.

Cablguy184

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a custom ported 2-10s JL Audio box located under the back seat front fireing and yes you have to remove the little toolbox/ tire iron to make it fit. As for the sound It isnt connected yet because I need a 4channel amp.. ughhhh. I did hear it outside of the truck and was very nice sounding.

Why would you need a 4 channel amp to run 2 10s ??

Smurfcivic! Did you have the opening out the front? And I read somewhere about needing to have the right hz to tune the deepness or thumpiness of it. So what was the hz for that box? I want more of a deep bass, than thumpy. For sure.

there is a link on my signature that explains this stuff ... Sound Quality thread ...

jarede525

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was thinking about selling my two 12 comps and getting one single, better sub like a compvt or something to make a box like smurf did. I was just wondering what the hz of the ported box he made was that way I knew if it was even worth it or not!

Cablguy184

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In my opinion, 2 10s sealed is the best sounding combination under the rear seat ... perfect airspace, plenty of breathing room for the sub motor structure ...
and can handle tons of power when built correctly ...

again, just my suggestion
I never got the sound I wanted with the sub enclosure under the read seat ... I cut my back wall and installed my enclosure in the bed of the truck ...

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
The biggest problem with ported is the size difference in the enclosure versus sealed. jarede, with the size of sub you're wanting, you will be limited in selections due to the limited space available for volume and port locations. I'm sure a forward facing vent might sound better, but then you'd have to worry about people possibly dropping trash into it, by accident of course :evillol: I'll do some figuring and see if I can somehow help you choose the above specs needed, but this is definitely going to be a challenge. :)

jarede525

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've made a rough sketch, and I think I can get about 2.6 cu ft of space in a door to door box. Give or take of course. I just don't know how to figure all the technical stuff to make it sound good. Making the box and everything won't be a problem. but I have a mrp-m350 alpine amp wired to two 12" kicker comps. It's in a ported box now, and sounds pretty great. But it'd be nice to have my backseat back!

I can sell my two subs and get a single, more powerful one, if that would work better. I just don't know which one would work the best with my amp. yada-yada-yada... Just whatever would work best is what I'll go with. :shrug:

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
The last ecsb I tried an underseat enclosure on was a 99 ecsb(classic interior) and the largest we could squeeze with 1/2" mdf sealed was 1.8(usable volume), and that was downfiring(with just enough space to not tap on xmax of an fi btl 12) and also pushing against the bottom of seat just enough that you had to bounce on the seat to get it to lock. Now this box was recessed about an inch from front of seat so as to not encourage swinging feet or digging of heels....I'd really like to see a side-view sketch of your design to see how close you are to front of seat, labeled with angles and measurements. 2.6 sounds like you're using thin mdf.

smurfcivic

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
im unsure of the hz. i just built a box to kickers cu ft specs and then got creative on the port. Ive been thru multiple sets of 10's and amps and this is my fav so far. Good luck with whatever u choose. if it wasnt for my son wanting to ride in at i wouldnt have the back seat. BUt hes to small to ride up front.