Extended cab tint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JTMiller13

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've got a 92 silverado extended cab and I have been getting into tinting, long story short I'd love to make my extended windows darker but I cannot find a way to remove the windows from the two mounts and latch to cover them

All answers welcome
Cheers!

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you don't have the factory OE service manuals, that we drone on about , that are available here, FREE , your already behind the eight ball. They are full of crazy obscure info to get things done.
Check the sticky above for the thread on service manuals, get all available for your year. It's all in the books. Electric, body, eng, transmission, service, specs, what that tag on the glove box means about option codes and paint codes. Its all there. :waytogo:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've got a 92 silverado extended cab and I have been getting into tinting, long story short I'd love to make my extended windows darker but I cannot find a way to remove the windows from the two mounts and latch to cover them

All answers welcome
Cheers!
The early (1988-1993) extended cab windows are attached to the hinges with a single phillips head screw in either hinge, and a roll pin holds the latch to a piece that is permanently attached to the glass. I've found that over the years the screws tend to seize up in the bolt "button" (actually a smooth headed t-nut) that goes through the glass. So, you just have to take care and use a quality screwdriver that is in good condition, a firm hold on it, and again, just be careful. A small punch or nail set will get the roll pin out of the latch.

Those early extended cab windows are usually bronze tint from the factory though. I guess a few were plain clear glass (with an extremely slight green color tint possibly?) but most were bronze mirror-style finish, which can make it tricky to match them to any tint you do on the door windows.

Richard

JTMiller13

Reaction score
The early (1988-1993) extended cab windows are attached to the hinges with a single phillips head screw in either hinge, and a roll pin holds the latch to a piece that is permanently attached to the glass. I've found that over the years the screws tend to seize up in the bolt "button" (actually a smooth headed t-nut) that goes through the glass. So, you just have to take care and use a quality screwdriver that is in good condition, a firm hold on it, and again, just be careful. A small punch or nail set will get the roll pin out of the latch.

Those early extended cab windows are usually bronze tint from the factory though. I guess a few were plain clear glass (with an extremely slight green color tint possibly?) but most were bronze mirror-style finish, which can make it tricky to match them to any tint you do on the door windows.

Richard
Thank you Richard. Very helpful and a good read, I'm just stuck on rolling the latch pin out, do you work a punch with a hammer from the top of the pin and whack it down?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Thank you Richard. Very helpful and a good read, I'm just stuck on rolling the latch pin out, do you work a punch with a hammer from the top of the pin and whack it down?
I honestly can't remember which way it wants to go. Obviously you don't want to go wild on it and risk breaking the plastic (or the window) ... I never really had much trouble knocking the pin out but it's probably been 14-15 years since I needed to pull one of those windows apart.

Richard